I'm late...

I turned around, nothing was there. Great. I'm really paranoid. I kept walking, trying to shake the feeling. I finally found my tree. It was a pine tree. I think it was a white pine, but I'm not sure. I climbed up it and winced when I had to swing on the hard-to-reach branches. I got to my branch and looked out on the city, sitting on the branch and leaning on the trunk.

     I'm not sure how long I was there but I never shook the feeling of eyes boring into me. I shook my head. It's stupid and paranoid, especially up here. I saw the sun rise over some buildings and my heart sped up. My eyes widened. Oh no.

     I scaled the tree quickly and scanned myself to make sure there were not twigs or anything. After I was satisfied I ran home. Oh please...I quickly climbed my tree and got in my window, shutting and locking it. I looked myself over again and ran downstairs. It's 5:30. Damn.

     Something shattered my heart sped up again. I got into the kitchen to see my father in front of the cabinet with plate shards surrounding him. He came over and smacked me, making my whip around and loose my balance. I landed hard on my shoulder and cried out. I pulled my knees up and curled up. I bit my lip, holding back tears.

     "You little whore! You should've made food by now bitch!" He screamed, kicking me. The wind was knocked out of me and I skidded across the floor. He'll leave for work soon. He will. I winced, the shoulder I landed on slamming into a chair. I uncurled and slowly struggled to my feet.

     "I'm sorry father I-"

     "I don't want to hear your excuses and lies!" He shoved my into the wall and I cried out.

     "I'm so sorry..." I said softly, looking at the toes of my scuffed-up converse.

     "Fuck! I'm late for work you slut!" He shouted and slapped me again. I fell to the ground, again. He slammed the door and the shock shook me, the slam echoing through the house.

     I winced, climbing to my feet. I new I should've made something before I left. I'm an idiot. I felt like I was going to cry. My life is a mess. I shook my head and waited 15 minutes before moving. Mother wouldn't even notice I'm gone, nor care. Besides, she's not even awake yet. It's my fault. If I hadn't been born my parents wouldn't have given me up and if that wouldn't have happened my adoptive parent's wouldn't have had to take me in. Maybe if I was a better daughter I wouldn't get hit so much. I deserve it.

     I walked out the back door and into town. I pulled my hood up and kept my head down, staying out of people's way and being careful not to be noticed. I felt eyes on me, always. There's no one there though, God I'm paranoid...

     "I found you after all..." A voice whispered to me. I spun around but the streets were empty. My heart beat quickened and my breath was shallower. The fact that I even humored the idea of going back surprised me, and made me fully aware of how scared I am. All I feel is adrenaline in my veins. I shook my head. I'm being stupid. My paranoia made the wind sound like a voice. Besides, who would notice me let alone try to find me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I apologize for the short chapter. I have a lot going on and someone kept messaging me to publish another chapter. I like the feedback. I'm going to try to publish another chapter today but I don't know. It should be longer.