Chapter 5

Mrs. Beach just stands there, sounding like a robot. I look back down at my page and continue on my drawings and doodles of horse things. She calls on me, unexpectedly.

" Hayley?"

" What, Mrs. B? Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts." She walks over to me and taps her pencil on my paper.

" You know you aren't supposed to draw while I'm talking. That's one, young lady."  She says with holding her index finger up. And she turns away and marches back to her seat. I hear giggles and snickers almost echoing throughout the class. I slam my fist against my desk and everyone shuts up. The bell rings and I'm first one out the door. Opening my locker, Bianca, the schools preppy, girly girl, captain of the cheerleaders, and bully, walks by and slams the books out of my hands. I bend down to get them and Liona, one girl in her group, slams my locker shut, hitting me hard on my head. I drop down and they start laughing their heads off. My head starts to throb again! I gather myself up and rub the place where the locker door hit my head. 

Reaching down to grab my books, a hand is already holding them out. My eyes travel up his arm and up into a pair of forest green eyes. Cody. He is in my gym class today, also a good looking, sweet, charmer and a 'jock'. Whatever that means. I pick them from his hands and he helps me up.

" Hey, I'm Cody. What's your name?" He says with a slight grin.

" Hayley. Thanks for giving my my books." I reply with a smile. I stuff my books in my locker and grab my gym strip.

" Hey, I'm in your gym class today." I nod, locking my locker. We walk down towards the gym and he gets pulled to the side of the hallway by Bianca.

" Cody! Why are you hanging out with this nerd. Nobody does, except for that freak Sara." My mind literally explodes when those words come out of her lip gloss drowned lips.

" Don't you talk about Sara that way!" I nearly scream at her, grabbing her by the collar of her shirt and shoving her against some lockers. She yelps in surprise and fear. I feel two, warm, strong arms wrap around my body. Pulling my away from her.

" Easy, girl. Bianca, back off. Leave her alone." I hear Liona giggle and whisper something to Bianca. She giggles as well.

" So you two are a thing now, aren't ya?" I rapidly shake my head and Cody replies.

" I told you, back off!" We walk away and hear her scoff.

" " Easy, girl."? I'm not a horse you know!" He chuckles to himself.

" Well, I'm sorta used to saying that. Since I work on a horse ranch and live on it too." A weird lightbulb flickers on in my head. Cody? A rancher? I was told he lives in a mansion and hates animals.

" Late are we?" Our gym teacher says very sternly. Cody spits out words before I can speak.

" Well sir, Bianca was being mean to Hayley, so I helped her out." Then I notice that he still has his arm draped around my shoulder. Sara waves to me from the office and I excuse myself for two minutes.

" Sara, why are you in he-" She cuts me off.

" Why was Cody Sheppard's arm around your shoulder?! Are you two dating? Why didn't you tell me?!" She shakes me roughly.

" We aren't dating! Long story. Now, why are you in here?" She looks down at her boots.

" I'm sick. I almost threw up in science and have a headache." I back away slowly.

" Okay, I will tell you all about Cody after school." And I run out the door, colliding with Cody.

" Aghh!" I yell in a monotone voice. He helps me back up and laughs.

" Haha! You scream like the opposite of Bianca. Her screams are like-" An ear bleeding screech bursts through my ears. And I'll tell you, she is thee most annoying person you will ever meet.

" Cody! What are you doing with that... Nerd?!" He rushes up to her and stared her in the face.

" She is not a nerd! She is a completely normal girl." She smirks at him and leans forward, catching a slight kiss on his lips. He shoves her off and backs away.

" If we weren't in school, or I was a girl instead, I would've punched you so hard. You would've felt it sixty years from now." She just scoffs and walks away to her class. He jogs back to me and leads me to gym, where we are doing a unit in basketball.

" Do you want to be my partner?" He politely asks, I nod and bounce the ball over to him.

2 hours later...

I wave back at Sara, who is rapping the window as the bus drives away. Adam pokes me once, twice and the third time he tries, I catch his hand.

" What?!" I scream at him. He laughs and looks at me, looking amused.

" So, are you and Cody a thing?" He chuckles at himself.

" Well, we both are humans. Aren't we?" I sarcastically, but smartly reply.

" No, well yes. But, are you two dating?" I make my; 'What are you thinking face' at him and he laughs. Again.

" No." Is all I say before speed walking into the barn and emerging out with Rock's halter. I swing the gate open, just enough to let me inside and whistle. I hear the sound of thundering hooves against the hard, grassy paddock. The four horses appear from over the hill and almost whistle to me.

" Hey, my little equine's." They slow to excited trots and I slip Rock's black halter on his bulky, bay face. I struggle to get only Rock and I out, due to the rest just wanting to get out even though they have many acres to run around in. I lead Rock into the barn and tie him up, running the curry comb through his fur. After grooming, I jog to the tack room and remove his saddle pad from on top of his dark brown saddle. I swing it up on his back and head back for the bridle and saddle. I tack him up and swing on his back. Clucking my tongue, he trots out to the back trail. Time for trail ride, just Rock and I.

A/N

Short authors note.

Thank you for reading ( voting, commenting or sharing!)!-Acacia