Chapter 9

My eyes crack open and I turn over, looking at my clock in shock. It says; 7:46! I get out of bed as fast as I can and change into a green t-shirt and some dark blue jeans. I slip my horseshoe pattern socks on and my black hoodie that says; 'WARNING! Equestrian. May steal your horse at any given moment!' I snatch my phone from its charger, and I almost trip down the stairs as I race down them. I turn it on and text Sara:
" Get your butt over here! We are leaving at 8!" I wait a couple of minutes, while scarfing down an apple. No reply. Adam appears from behind a corner and smiles.

" Good Morning, sleepyhead! Hey, sorry I can't make it to the roundup, I'm heading off to Texas today." I pat him on the shoulder.

" That's okay! Anyway, drive safe!" I toss the apple to the garbage and sprint to get my boots on. I hobble out the door and freeze. Standing with the truck and trailer ready, is my mom, dad, Sara, and Cody. Sara smiles and walks up, hugging me.

" Hehe! Our plan worked!" She smiles. I turn to my amused parents and sigh.

" Okay, how did you do it now?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips.

" Well, I turned your alarm off while your father picked up Cody, who helped out with the trailer. Sara and I packed a lunch and set the truck up for the two hour ride. We all fed, watered, groomed and put the horses in the pasture already." My mom explains. I laugh.

" Wow! All for me?" Everybody nods.

" Okay, then! Let's get this show on the road!" We all hop in the big truck and we pull out of the driveway. I pop one earphone in my right ear and talk most of the way. And I'll tell you, it seemed like a very long drive.
--------------
I shake Sara, waking her up and bounce up and down like a girl in a new stable.

" We're here! We're here!" She jerks awake and everybody laughs, as my dad shuts the truck off.

" God, Hayley! You almost gave me a heart attack!" We unbuckle our seatbelts and hop out of the dark blue truck. There are corrals filled with many coloured horses and foals. I switch my glance over across the road, and find an auction house. That's where I will be getting my horse. Dad looks over at one pen with a gray stallion. My mom walks over and pulls him away. A man with black, graying hair, walks up to my dad and shakes his hand.

" Hey, John. How's it going?" He asks my father.

" Good, Mike. Do you have any fine mustangs for my daughter set up?" I grin when I hear the word mustang.

" Actually, I do." He leads us to behind the main barn and tied to the wall stands; one blue roan filly, one bay mare, a white stallion, and a dun colt.

" I didn't know what age you wanted so I got you a mare, filly, colt and stallion." He explains to me as I approach the mare. She shies somewhat and paws the ground, nervously.

" Easy, girl. Its okay, I'm not gonna hurt you." She calms down a little and I hold out a horse treat, I have many stored in my pockets. She pricks her ears forwards and takes it, quickly, off my palm. I slowly rub her neck and as soon as I reach her barrel, I feel bones. Ribs. This mare is starving!

" Uh, dad? Can you come here?" He steps forward and I point at her barrel. He places one hand on her blood bay barrel and his expression changes rapidly.

" Mike! This mare is starving. All the other ones look fine, except for her. I want her in a stall and fed. Now!" he orders. Mike obeys and unties her, leading her into the barn. I walk over to the filly, waiting for her to kick out or bite. But, she just nickers. I place one hand on her neck and she takes it fine.

" Good girl." I praise. She looks only two years old. Patches of her pretty blue coat hides behind mud, matted to her hide. I give her one treat and walk over to the stallion. He just paws the ground and pulls on the rope, leaning backwards. I leave him to calm down and the dun colt somewhat panics before I offer him a treat. He cautiously takes it and munches it, calmly. I run my hands down his legs and make sure they are okay. Good. I look at his face and in his mouth, which he seems to hate with a passion. I turn back to the stallion, holding out treat. He looks at me, questionably, and sniffs the treat before scarfing it down. Mike appears from the inside of the barn and the stallion pins his ears back. I stroke him, trying to calm him down. But it seems that Mike makes the stallion uncomfortable, or even he is scared of Mike. I turn to him, stroking the stallions snow white neck.