Chapter 23

" Hayley, Blue's waiting!" I hear a voice call. I slide out of bed and brush out my knotted hair, and change into some jeans and a dark blue shirt. On my way out, I snatch an apple from the fruit bowl and sink my teeth into it. As soon as I step outside the door, a loud neigh comes from the barn.

" Okay, okay. I'm coming!" I laugh to myself as Blue whinnies again. I slide the door open and walk into his stall.

" Hey buddy, how's your leg?" I ask the literally, speechless stallion. I feel his leg, up and down. It is somewhat warm, and stand up to grab a bucket of cold water and a cloth. A vet on the Internet said to do that for at least 4 months, but my vet said to soak his foot in cold water and mix in some anti-inflammatory meds in with a warm mash. After filling the bucket up with the cold water, I grab a medium sized cloth and enter Blue's stall. I crouch down next to his leg and ask for his leg, which he lifts just enough to plant into the bucket. After soaking his tendons in the water with the cloth, I get up and dump out the water in the sink. I grab a mash bucket and fill it with Blue's mash, mixing in his meds. I let it sit for two minutes and then place it in his stall. He happily munches on it, not knowing of the hidden medication.

I turn out Spring, Rock and Daisy into their pastures. I leave Blue to finish his mash and walk back around the house and turn out the mare and her colt into their pasture. Mom usually turns them out, but today, she is at the police station. Talking to the police about my kidnap. The black mare, named Everest, nuzzles my hand. After a couple of grooming sessions and two bath's, we found a pine tree shaped patch of white on her shoulder. And the colt, named Spark, sure has some spunk. His mom, a highland pony, only stands at 13.5 hands. But his father, we think is a thoroughbred, because of his height so far and body shape. I mean, he's almost 2 and almost taller than his mom! I lead Spark out and into his pasture and as soon as I take his halter off, he takes off bucking and tossing his head. What did I say? He's got spunk. Everest walks beside me as I lead her into the pasture next to Spark. I hear a distant whinny and trot back to the barn. Blue reaches his head out, impatient little stallion. I slip his halter on and lead him out into the indoor arena for some hand work.
-------------
Blue did very well on his session of hand work. A little limpy, but, he's gotten better. I cool him down and watch as a familiar truck comes rolling down the driveway. Sara hops out and excitedly squeals, sprinting over to us. She collides into me and engulfs me into a gigantic hug.

" Hayley!" I hug her back, still holding onto Blue's lead.

" Sara! It's so nice to see you!" She pulls away and admires Blue, then switching her gaze to his leg.

" Ya! Hey, he seems to be doing great! The swelling has gone down?"

" Yup. And, he didn't toss his head when you almost hit him in the face with your hand!" I sarcastically accuse.

" Well... Hey!" She smiles, then laughs. He rubs his face on my jacket and playfully nips my shoulder.

" Hey, you big colt!" I rub his ears, which he seems to like a lot. I kiss his nose and motion my head over to the indoor arena. Sara follows from behind. 

" He walks way better than before!" I hear her say from behind us. I open the gate and start to lead him around, just walking.

" Okay, so... Are you okay?" She asks.

" I'm fine. It's Blue I'm worried about." I turn him in the opposite direction.

" Oh, in your hands, he will be better in three weeks!" She exclaims. I chuckle and stop Blue at the water trough to get a drink.

" You think?" She nods.

" Totally."
-------------
Cody's POV
I shut the cattle gate and hop back on Moose, steering him back towards the trail that leads to Hayley's place. I woke her up this morning, but as soon as I heard her feet shuffle around I went to my house, tacked up Moose, and checked on my father's beef cattle.

It takes about 15 minutes to get from the cattle pen to the trail, so I ask for Moose to lope, it'll not be as long if I lope. A bright light flicks by my eye and I switch my gaze over too an unknown car driving down the road. It stops and a man with a bald head and a brief case walks up to me, seeming nervous about Moose.

" H-hello, young man. Are your parents home?" He asks.

" Howdy, and no, sorry. My parents-" I get cut off by Moose snorting. The man jumps backward and tumbles down. I quickly dismount and help him up, handing him his brief case back.

" I'm sorry, luckily, fly season is almost over." He nods his head, quickly.

" Thank you. I just get easily intimidated by his height. Please, carry on."

" My parents are in town getting feed. You can probably find them at Leon's Tack and Feed Store. Again, sorry 'bout Moose." I apologize for my cocky stallion.

" Oh, Leon is an old friend. Thank you... Eh, what's your name? I'm Jim Felling." He extends a hand, which I shake without any force.

" Cody, Cody Sheppard. Nice to meet you, Jim." He nods and pats my shoulder.

" Nice to meet you too, Cody. Now, don't loose that horse of yours." He points over to Moose, who is happily grazing across the road. I chuckle and wave as he stars backing up to his car.

" I won't! Bye for now!"

" Good bye!" He closes the door to his car and I snatch one of Moose's reins and tug his head up. Don't want that to become a naughty habit. Jim pulls out of the drive and speeds off. Poor guy, probably never gotten that close to a horse before.

I mount back up and trot into the trail, heading towards Hayley's.

A/N
I know... This update's late. And I'm so sorry! School just started back up today and I've kind of been neglecting Wattpad. But I promise to update more often! Thank you so much for reading!
-A