Chapter 10

" Woah. Easy boy. Slow down." I try to comfort the loping stallion. He shakes his head and rears. I throw the rope in front of him and he switches direction. I hear an amused laugh from behind me and don't even bother to look.

" What's so funny, Cody?" I sense his teasing smirk.

" Oh, just that I think you're crazy trying to train a five year old, wild mustang. Plus he is a stallion." I fake laugh and continue on my stallion. He darts around and just keeps going. I urge him on, faster and then drop the rope and turn my back to him. His thundering hoof beats slow and soon, I feel a warm breath on my neck. I slowly turn and reach up, patting his neck.

" Such a good boy!" I praise. He nips my jacket pocket, knowing that I have his favourite thing ever. Treats. I give him one and lead him out. That's enough for one day. I tie him up to the crossties and let him sniff a curry comb. He backs up, nervously, but soon lets me run it through his midnight black fur. I introduce him to a few other brushes and a hood pick. He tenses up when I try to pick his hoof up, but soon calms down and learns from my trick. I grab a handful of his long, black fetlock and lightly tug on it. But the first hoof was pretty hard, since he was wild and all. My mom walks in and smiles.

" So you've already introduced him to brushes and hoof picks? Wow, that's pretty good for such a... Beginner." I stand up and glare at my mom.

" What am I a beginner for?" I snap, the stallion rubbing his head on me.

" Well, training a horse. I have barely taught you a thing." I laugh, slightly amused.

" And what makes you think that I need you to train my horse?" She shakes her head and walks up to Spring's stall, stroking the palomino's shiny neck.

" Hey, have you even given him a name yet?" She asks. I look up at my beautiful stallion and examine him. He is pitch black, has a white cornet marking on his right front leg, long mane and tail and my favourite, a sky blue eye. It's his one, unique feature. Well, that I know of, so far.

" I've been thinking, hard. And I think I've come up with a name for my beautiful, strong, fast and friendly stallion. Wanna guess?" She nods.

" Okay. Midnight, Blacky, Night Hawk, Stormy Night, Thundering Cloud, or Burning Coal." I think of what she just said and shake my head.

" No, they don't suit his personality. They only suit his appearance." She agrees.

" Blue," I say, stroking his nose.

" And his show name, Little Boy Blue." She smiles and walks over to pet Blue, but he throws his head up high.

" That is a very nice name." She walks back to Spring's stall and puts her halter on, leading her to another set of crossties. Blue nickers to her and she nickers back. I unhook him from the crossties and put him out into his pasture. He gallops to the end and neighs out, waiting for a return.
--------------
I slump down on my bed and sigh, grabbing my phone from my bedside table. I turn it on and my eyes widen at how many texts I have. 49. 48 from Cody and 1 from Sara, she texted;

" How's the training going?" I sigh and think to myself; 'Oh, the training is going great! He doesn't do too well in the round pen. But, of coarse, is fine with ground work and grooming.' Sarcastically. My phone vibrates and guess what? Another text.

" Hey, its Cody again. Are you okay? I've been texting you for the last hour, almost two. Please text back, Hayley." I tap the message and text back,

" Sorry, I was out training my stallion and left my phone inside. By the way, I named him Blue. But his show name is Little Boy Blue." I set it down and walk into my bathroom and start to wash my face from the dirt and dried sweat. I dry my face and brush my hair and teeth, before changing into my pyjamas, sweat pants and a blue tank top. My phone vibrates again and I open up the message.

" Okay. I thought you were mad at me for some reason. Cool name, it matches his eye!" I laugh and text him goodnight. I slip under my covers and shut my eyes.
----------------
I wake up to the sound of hooves pounding against a stall. My eyes fly open and I burst out of my room and down the stairs to the mud room, shoving my boots on. I shove the door open and follow the haunting screams of a horse. Throwing the door to the side and switching the lights on, I watch as Blue nearly at attacks his stall door and walls. My dad sprints in and helps me calm down Rock and Spring. She calms easily and I quickly travel over to Blue's stall. He raises his head and, shrilly whinnies, kicking out once more. I shush him and place my hand on his neck, he slowly starts to calm down. After what seems like an hour, he finally calms down and I give him a new bucket of water, which he had spilled when he freaked out. Dad pulls out his phone and kind of smiles.

" It's 3:57. Why go back to bed? You wanna help with breakfast or-" I cut him off.

" No, it's fine. I'm gonna stay with Blue." He smiles and nods, walking out and into the house. Blue pops his head out of his stall and nickers to me. I scratch his ebony black forehead.

" Hey, buddy. How are ya? Listen, I'm going to give you an hour to calm down and when your hour is over, training!" I kiss his forehead and walk into the tack room to clean and polish some saddles and bridles.
--------------
After cleaning five saddles and eight bridles, Blue impatiently paws his stall door. I walk out and just stand in the doorway and watch in awe, my beautiful, charcoal black stallion. His black mane cascades down his muscular, filled out neck. His beautiful, shaped, head. He pricks his ears forward and nickers a soft, sweet, low nicker. I walk up to him and slip his dark, grey halter over his head. He follows obediently and I lead him into the round pen.

A/N

So, how did you like Blue's freak out?! Or maybe naming him? Can you give me some ideas?:) that would be awesome! Thanks for reading (Voting, Commenting and Sharing)!
-Acacia