Chapter 24

A/N This chapter is dedicated to REBECCA_JK for commenting so much, voting and just being there from my first book! Thank you!

I slow Blue's walk to a stop and give him a slice of an apple, which me slurps from my hand. I throw the lead over his neck and walk up to his back. I take the lead and a part of mane from his withers in one hand and reach as far as I can with the other.

" Ready, boy? One, two three." I say as I swing my leg up onto his back. He swivels his ears back and forth, adjusting to my weight. I pat his neck and he starts walking, without my command. I chuckle to myself and without any sign, he starts trotting.

" Woah, woah, boy. Your not ready yet." He snorts after I pull him back into a walk. I dismount and kiss his nose. He nickers as I hand him a apple slice, and walk forwards. He follows at my shoulder and keeps up with a couple of stumbles. After 15 minutes, I check the time. 5:22. Blue follows as I lead him back into the barn.

" Hey there, beautiful." I hear a familiar voice call from the trail. Cody dismounts Moose and walks over to me, placing a kiss on my lips.

" Hey, handsome." The stallions sniff noses, unexpectedly, and Moose squeals. It's a loud one. Blue arches his neck, trying to size Moose up. They are slightly similar in height, but Blue takes over by a hand, at the least.

" Hey, knock it off!" Cody jerks Moose away from Blue and ties him to the hitching post. Blue follows me into the barn and obeys, standing still in the crossties. I brush him over with the soft brush, and pick out his feet before putting him into his stall and tossing him a flake of hay. Cody untacks Moose and puts him in the stall next to Spring. If any horse were to put him in his place, it would be Spring. We all head inside and I make some tea.

" So, Cody, what did you do today?" Sara asks him.

" Hey! I'm supposed to say that!" I sarcastically call from the kitchen over to the living room.

" Well, this morning, I woke Hayley up and left to check on my dad's cattle, then caught up with this man looking for my parents," He lets out a small laugh.

" He was sure spooked by Moose, though!" He says just loud enough that I can hear. I bring three mugs, one raspberry flavoured, the other two chamomile, into the living room and set the raspberry one in front of Sara.

" Careful, it's hot." She shrugs and takes a sip, spitting it back into her up.

" Aghh! That is hot!" She starts fanning her tongue and squeals, running to the cupboard to grab some sugar. She's always told me; it helps a burnt tongue.

" I told you so." I mutter, before blowing on my tea. Cody chuckles beside me and kisses my cheek. Sara comes back with an upside down spoon in her mouth and sits down in the chair, with a frown on her face.
The door flys open and someone stomps their boots off.

" Oh, hi mom! Would you like some tea?" I politely call, standing up to go see her.

" Hello, sweetie. No thanks, I'm just going to go to bed." She declines.

" How did it go?" I, carefully, ask.

" Let's just say, I'm very persuasive." And with that, she slumps up the stairs and into her room. Another pair of headlights shuts off and my dad steps out of his truck, carrying a large box. He flicks his boots off and when his eyes meet mine, he hides it behind his back.

" Hayley! Don't look." I turn around and let him hurry into their room.

" Okay..." I say as I sit back down. Sara carefully sips her tea, but it has cooled.

" So, when's your birthday, again?" Sara smirks at Cody's question.

" September 20th, why?"

" Oh, no matter. Just... Wondering." He smirks from behind his mug, which I can clearly see. I roll my eyes and finish my tea, grabbing Sara's empty cup and putting them in the dishwasher, waiting for Cody to walk over and put it down. After he pours out the rest, which is nothing, and puts it into the dishwasher, I start it.

Sara drives away with one honk and speeds off. Cody and I walk to the barn, hand in hand. We hear one, deep impatient whinny and laugh.

" Oh, Moose. Be quiet!" He says as he opens the barn door. Now, he waits, as patiently as he can while Cody grabs his tack. I run into the tack room to help him out, snatching his bridle from a hook. We tack him up in the stall and I lead him out. Cody walks out and takes his reins from me, distracting me with a kiss. He mounts up and smiles.

" See you tomorrow?"

" Sure!" I smile back. He nods and trots away, calling over his shoulder;

" Love you!" I smile.

" Love you, too!" I check on the other horses and kiss Blue goodnight.

" Goodnight, Blue." He nickers back and I close the door, walking back home. On my way back, my mom walks out and heads to the back barn, where we keep the other two. I follow and watch her walk straight into Everest's stall. She is talking to her about something I can't make out. I walk in and casually check Spark's stall. I turn around and pretend I just saw her.

" Hey, mom! What's up?" She shakes her head, smiling.

" Nothing, darling. Help me feed?" I nod and grab Spark's hay net, filling it and hanging it in his stall. Mom tosses Everest a flake and kisses her forehead.

" Goodnight, Everest," She walks over to Sparks stall, where he is eating.

" night Spark." And we walk out together, heading to bed.

" Goodnight, Hayley." She says as she steps into her room with dad sleeping. It must've been a long day.

A/N
I was gonna make this chapter a half and then post another half, but I rethought and just posted this one. Hope you like it!
-A