Chapter 17

I flip over and look at the clock. Ugh, it's 3 am. I lay in bed for at least 20 minutes and then haul my body out of bed. Lets see; I feel crappy, I am hungry, I look like a troll and my horse is injured and at the veterinary clinic. I give up on brushing my hair and take a long, warm shower.

After I have dried up, I put my hair up in a high ponytail and change into some clean clothes. It feels weird without your horse around. You almost don't have anything else to do! I slump down the stairs and grab an orange and start peeling off the peel and I throw the peel away. It's the normal time to get up in this house, but, other than me, nobody's up. It is 3:57 in the morning, anyways. I pluck off the last bit of the orange and get up and put my boots on. While I'm walking to the barn, I notice that I can see small, beady eyes staring back at me from the forest line. I quicken my pace and shut the door behind me, I usually wouldn't. I walk up to Blue's stall and notice a note hanging from the stall door. It says:
" Hayley, we know that your up early on a Saturday and that you will be here. Please, give attention to the other two-" Oh, I forgot, Sara and Daisy went to a jumping show this morning, so she picked up Daisy yesterday afternoon. "horses. And don't forget to take out Spring. You know that she doesn't like being cooped up in a stall. Thanks, Mom and Dad." I drop the note into the garbage and walk over to Rock's stall. His now greying muzzle nudges my arm and he gives me a low, friendly nicker.

" Hey, Rock. How was your sleep?" I ask, scratching his neck. I throw them both a flake of hay and walk into the tack room. The buzzing of the heater and the dust on some saddles reminded me of my old ranch. I grab a cloth and wipe the dust off of the saddles, even Blue's newer one.

" Oh, wow Hayley! You screwed up again. Now your horse is injured and at the vets? What could get-" I catch myself from jinxing the situation even more. Now, I catch myself talking to myself a lot more than normal. I grab out my phone and text Cody. God, it's been a while since I've seen him. Or it at least feels like it. I ask to go for a ride later at his place and ride one of his horses. Since I cant really ride any here. He says okay and I grab Spring's halter and put it on her face, leading her out into the round pen. I walk her around two times, switch direction and ask her to trot. She listens exceptionally well and when I ask for a lope, she lopes. I slow her down and ask her to come up to me, which she does and earns herself a treat. I let her out into her pasture and also take Rock out into the pasture as well. I check the clock in the tack room and it says; 4:35. I never realized how long it can take to just exercise and feed two horses!
--------------
I jump when something nudges my shoulder. My eyes zoom over to Spring and I laugh to myself. I fell asleep in the pasture, leaning against the fence? Alright, now I'm spending a lot more time with my parents' horses than usual. But I know why. Because my horse is gone! I get up and pop my head into the tack room to check the time. 7:27. Jeez, I was asleep for almost 4 hours?! I sneak back into the house and grab a muffin and my truck keys. I slowly and as quiet as possible, close the door. The stupid screen door creaking with every move. I start my truck up and pull out of my drive way. I scarf my cranberry lemon muffin down, just before I come crunching down his driveway. He waves to me from the barn and smiles a toothy smirk. I shut my truck off and hop out, skipping towards Cody. He engulfs me in a huge bear hug and kisses my forehead.

" I've missed you! I'm so sorry about Blue! Is there anything I can do?" He says with a hint of pain in his forest green eyes. Then, I realize, he is the only person I let finish his sentence about Blue. I shake my head, a strand of blonde hair comes whipping out of my ponytail and hits him in the face!

" Oh, my gosh! I'm so sorry, here, let me kiss it better." I kiss his cheek and he gives me a funny grin.

" You forgot a spot!" He says pointing to his lips. I chuckle and kiss his lips "better" and walk over to Dancer's stall. She nickers me a greeting and I rub her forehead.

" Hey girl, did you miss me?" She nods her head up and down rapidly and licks my hand. I laugh and grab her halter to put on her. The pretty light orange, almost peach colour, looks so pretty against her coat. I tie her up and grab a curry comb to brush away the packed mud on her shoulder.
After grooming, I tack her up and wait for Cody. He isn't long behind me, only two minutes or so. He swings up on Moose and we walk them outside, just to warm them up. He walks into the smaller riding ring and does a figure eight before returning to the gate. I walk and trot Dancer around some barrels and then trot back to Cody.

" Your so pretty when you ride." I cross my arms and push out my lower lip.

" So, I'm only pretty when I ride?" I whine sarcastically. His eyes reflect guilt.

" Oh, I'm sorry. I was only joking." A smirk creeps it's way on my face and I can't help but to burst out into laughter.

" Oh, my dear Cody. You're so gullible." I joke. His face turns a shade of pink in embarrassment and I manage to get Dancer to stand head to tail with Moose and kiss Cody on his cheek. I feel so talk when I'm on dancer, she is like 18 hands!

" Ready for the ride?" He asks. I nod my head and smile. We trek out onto the back trail and finally have some time to spill my feelings.