Chapter 26

When I open my eyes, my mother and father's face greet me before my alarm clock.

" Happy birthday, Hayley!" They say, holding a birthday cake out in the shape of a black horse head with a blue eye. I laugh and sit up, letting them rest the cake on my lap.

" Thank you! This is so sweet!" I say, getting out of bed to hug them. My mom grabs my face and kisses my forehead.

" My little girl is grown up." I nod.

" Yes, mommy." I add for the dramatic effect. She laughs and shakes her head. Dad steps forward and smiles.

" We love you, you know." I nod in agreement. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and watch bed headed Victoria run and hug me.

" Happy birthday! Jeez, you're getting old!" I sarcastically back hand her shoulder and laugh. Yesterday, we had some time to get to know each other and bond. We head down stairs and eat some cake, saving some for Cody. I check my muted phone and see 10 missed texts and two missed calls. I text my cousin, aunt, uncle, and even two from school back. I call Adam back, dismissing 6 missed calls.

" Hey, birthday girl!" He says from the phone.

" Hi, big brother. How is collage or whatever you call it?" He laughs and replies.

" Farrier school is great! I will be done in a couple more months. And be suspecting a big present coming to your place anytime soon. No returns." I grin.

" Oh, yeah?"

" Yes. Now, have you found yourself a place to live yet?" He sounds very interested.

" No, I haven't. Probably after collage. But I'm the mean time, mom and dad are doing a great job on watching my every move." There is a 30 second silence and he comes back.

" Speaking of moves, I heard you and Cody are serious. Wink, wink." I scoff, sarcastically.

" And what does; wink wink mean?"

" Will I have to visit for a wedding soon?" He chuckles. I'm not sure what to say. Eventually, I make my mind up.

" Uhh... No! Not until Blue's leg heals and I finish vet school."

" Okay. I have to study, but happy birthday! Love ya, little sis!"

" Bye, Adam." We hang up and I glance at the time. 10:34. I have an hour and a half till Cody picks me up, so I get dressed and brush my hair. I wear some blue jeans, a pretty red shirt and my black socks that I only wear only birthday, for some strange reason, I don't even know. Someone knocks on my door.

" Come in!" I call. Tori steps in, all done up with makeup and curled hair.

" Ride?" She asks. I nod and skip down the stairs, bumping into Sara on my way out.

" Sara!" I yell. She smiles and kisses my cheek.

" Happy birthday, Hayley!" She hugs me, a birthday present in hand.

" So good to see you," I say. Tori steps down and cautiously sends a smile Sara's way.

" Sara, this is Victoria. She's the new boarder." She nods, shaking Tori's hand.

" Nice to meet you. What's up?" Sara tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

" Well, Hayley and I were just about to go on a ride. But if you had plans..." The smile starts to fade from Tori's face and Sara quickly replies.

" No, no! I actually brought my horse and another one my dad owns. We all can go for a ride and get to know each other!" She suggests. Victoria and I nod and I grab my gift from Sara's hand, placing it on the couch. I am the first one to see Sara's dad back in to our driveway and stop, hearing a whinny erupt from the trailer.

" That's Ricochet, the gelding I brought you. He gets excited, easily." Sara starts unlocking the trailer door as I step in the side door. A beautiful chestnut paint stands tied and fidgety.

" Easy, boy. It's okay." I sneak him a treat and unload him, letting Sara get Daisy. Tori runs into the barn, leading Cali to the hitching post, leaving two for Ricochet and Daisy the crossties. We groom them, but Ricochet wasn't that bad, I tack him up in his English tack. Just before I unclip him to put his bridle on, Blue neighs to me from his stall. I hang the bridle over the saddle and jog over to his stall, and as I do, he anxiously whinnies again.

" It's okay, Blue. I'll be back soon," I let him smell the scent of Ricochet on my hands. He swivels his ears, confused and protective. I chuckle to myself.

" good boy." I pat his neck, and go back to put Ricochet's bridle on. I lead him past Blue, who is trying to push his door open, and mount up outside. He adjusts to my weight and chomps on the bit once. Tori and Cali look perfect for each other, both blonde and nice. Sara and Daisy are both spunky, protective and have a sense of humour.

This one time, Daisy thought it would be a good idea to get her giant ball stuck in the water trough, pawing and biting it to get it out. It took Sara and I a while to get it out, but eventually, we got it. We had just started towards the gate when we heard that last splash and Daisy pawing at the ball, again.

" Where shall we go?" Tori asks, looking in between Sara and I.

" Umm... The field! Old man Harris lets me ride around in his old farming field. It's a bit overgrown but it's got enough space to gallop a while! Plus it's not that far." They nod and I take off on Ricochet, who I'm just gonna call Rico.
-------------
" That was fun!" Tori announces as she pats Cali's sweaty neck. We dismount and quickly groom the horses, Sara and I put sweat sheets on Rico and Daisy to prevent them from getting sick. We let them loose in a pasture, next to Cali and Spring's. The two palomino's sniff noses for a second, then take off grazing. I check the time and my eyes almost pop out of my head.

" Oh, God. It's eleven thirty! I have a date with Cody at twelve!" I mentally face palm and bolt inside the house. I rush upstairs and look in my mirror. My face is dusty and my hair tangled.

" Tori, you fix Hayley up! And I'll find a perfect outfit!" They nod and get a move on. Tori rakes a brush through my hair and then scrubs my face. After my face it dry, she applies eyeliner, mascara, blush, lipstick and keeps the eyeshadow packet out. She runs into my room and comes back with a smile, picking the eyeshadow pack up.

" Close your right eye." She demands, and I obey. She finishes one eye, asking for the other one to close. She didn't let me see and waits for the clothes to be shown. She now helps me up and leads me into my room, pushing my in front of Sara. She steps aside and laying on my bed is a beautiful outfit. I didn't even know I had these clothes! A white, strapless dress, white and black converse, a pretty necklace in the shape of a horse, and silver earrings are laid out on my bed. I quickly switch my vision over the clock and its 11:57! I lunge at the outfit and shoo the two away into the bathroom. I almost fall over when putting the shoes on and let the girls out and stand in front of my mirror. Now seeing the smoky grey eyeshadow. I smile and hug them.

" Girls, I look amazing! Thanks to you!" I say while hugging them.

" No problem! It was fun doing your makeup and hair!" Tori says.

" I didn't even know you had those clothes!" Sara laughs. A honk sound outside and I look at the clock. 12 o'clock. Right on time.

" Have fun!" They say at the same time. I smile and blow them pretend kisses. They laugh and I skip down the stairs, now prepared to see my handsome boyfriend, Cody.

Authors note
Yay! Happy birthday Hayley! Well, not in reality. But, what the heck?! I had a very good plan for this chapter and wrote. Until I finally finish a little too late. Anyways, goodnight!
-Acacia🐴