Chapter 16 - Campfire

I nervously sighed as I sat down around a table next to Sidney, in front of dad and Laura. I didn't want to tell them about my life here, I didn't want them to know. They've never asked before, so, in my opinion, they've totally lost the right to know.

"So, I want you to come back to New Orleans. I've realized that this was a mistake, sending you here, this far, all alone with no place where to go. I'm so sorry about that" my dad started.

"I'm not coming back, I'm fine here" I scoffed. I worked hard for restarting my life from zero, I wasn't willing to do it again. Not now that I was finally happy.

"Don't you feel alone?" Laura asked.

"I'm not alone" I smiled.

"What about Evan?" Sidney asked. I didn't want them to know that I was dating him, I didn't want them to know a thing about my life here.

"What about him" I asked, trying to hide how happy the only sound of his name made me feel.

"Are you guys over?"

My phone started buzzing, I took a quick glance up at Sidney and grabbed it.

"Hey princess, how's the lunch going so far? Tell them I need you home by 4.30pm, we have a campfire tonight and we need to leave for 6pm. Love, Evan"

I smiled down at my phone and quietly placed it back in my pocket.

"So, what about a dinner tonight?" dad asked.

"Actually, I have the whole weekend full. I have a campfire tonight, a barbecue lunch in the morning, movie night tomorrow night and a big lunch on Sunday" I said, trying not to get too much into the details.

"Oh" he sighed.

"You didn't tell me you were coming. I can't just cancel it all, you know"

"You're totally right. Why don't you take Sidney with you tonight?" he asked, I stared at him for a while, trying to find the right words to say without hurting anyone.

"I'm not feeling good actually, and I'm still jetlagged. I need to sleep. Maybe next time" Sidney weakly said. I knew she was lying, she didn't like to crash into other people's plans.

"Let me ask" I softly sighed, hiding it perfectly.

I quickly sent a text to Evan and waited for his answer. He replied right away, telling me it wasn't a problem if she'd joined us. I honestly didn't want to but I decided to give her another chance, against my will.

"They said it's fine" I just said,

"Perfect. Do you guys sleep there? Do you have a spot for her?" dad asked.

"Actually, I only have a 1-spot camping tent and we're already in two in there" I admited,

"That girl from the store will sleep with you?" he asked, interested.

"No"

"That guy of last night will, won't he?" Laura smirked as I just looked away.

***

Evan and I reached the camp spot where we would've had the campfire that night, I smiled as he soon introduced me to all of his friends. I wasn't good at remembering names but I remembered Taissa Farmiga, Emma Roberts, Finn Wattrock and Matt Bomer from American Horror Story. I also remembered Darren Criss from Glee and Charlie Puth. I almost fainted when touched their hands, it all looked so weirdly strange. They were all famous and I was just me, the new girl in town.