Chapter Forty-Two- Breaking news

To say the train ride back home was awkward was an understatement. It was majorly awkwardly uncomfortable. We just sat there across from each other one looking out the window, the other looking away at a phone texting or playing games, or vice versa. The only time we talked was to wake each other up to eat to grab the luggage from up top. I knew after that fight Sunday night things would be harder. I would tell that instantly when I had wake up on Monday morning at eight and Nathan was already up and breakfast was bowl of cereal. Unless it was necessary to say something to the other nothing else was said. I even tried don’t get me wrong! I asked if he wanted to watch Happy Gilmore- his favorite movie- and he declined putting his headphones in and leaning back in his seat with his eyes closed.

When we got home we were far apart from each other at pretty much all times. Mom didn’t seem too surprised by our distance and deciding not to talk much about the trip I was all for not talking about what happened either, if this is how Nathan wanted to be then let it be.  After taking multiple naps on Tuesday I finally woke up officially when all the boys came home from school. It was hard not to, you'd think after living with my brothers all my life and having the O’Conner’s here for two months I'd be used to it, but I was far from that.

I greeted all the boy when they came in for the first time since I've been back. It wasn't some huge welcome back home greet, it was mostly like, oh she's back? Got to love my boys. Parker threw himself at me the second he saw me with a gleaming smile on his face. I knew what that look meant already.

“Well did you have fun!? Did you sleep in my room?” He asked jumping up and down.

I laughed picking him up and slinging him on my hip. He’s old enough for me to quit doing this but he’s still so tiny and light weight, I can’t resist, “I did have a nice time. We had lots of fun dancing, eating, talking; hang out with Nathan’s friends. But I’m sorry I didn’t sleep in your room.”

“Aw, I want to go back home and see my friends!” He pouted crossing his arms over his chest, “Brody can we go back home and hang out with our friends?” He asked his older brother when I walked into the kitchen.

Brody chuckled loosing up his tie around his neck and taking a big sip from his bottle of water, “None of your friends want to see you Parker.” Brody joked laughing at Parker’s shocked face.

“Hey that’s not nice!” Parker shouted dropping down my arms to punch his brother in the gut.

“Parker!” Brody scolded, holding his stomach. Parker laughed sticking his tongue at him and running off, but not before kicking him in the shin, “Cut the shhh...shenanigans.” Brody corrected with a grumble.

“Tough kid.” I commented with a laugh of my own.

“Ten years is too big of an age difference.” He mumbled rubbing his stomach, “so how was Washington? Or the dance for that matter. I know it’s probably not as great as the ones you have here.” He mentioned. He was right about that for one thing.

He leaned against the counter waiting for my response and I did the same, “It was nice; simple yet done up. Like you said it’s different from what we do and it was nice to experience it. A change from the typical usual.”

“Ouf,” Brody scoffed shaking his head, “The ice experience card. Guess it wasn’t that great of a night.”

“It was!” I defended, “It was no Cinderella ballroom or million dollar yacht but it was an enjoyable dance.”  Where the dance was held at doesn’t matter to me. What mattered to me was that Nathan would have a good time and see his friends again. I didn’t care how fancy their dance was, as long as everyone has a good time and makes memories that’s all that matters. It’s a night to doll up and have fun; a moment for the yearbook.