Chapter Forty-Seven- The End

Nathan pulled up into the parking lot of the park on a bright sunny day. The park was packed with kids and parents running around and squealing with laughter. Parker was practically bouncing in his seat like he does every time. Parking the car Parker was already out and running to the side walk waiting for us to catch up; Nathan grabbed my hand as we got out walking together. Parker ran off to play on the Jungle Jim while Nathan and I got to sit down on the park bench.

“How you feeling?” I asked putting on my sunglass to keep the sun away from glaring into my eyes.

“Better than before I guess.” He mentioned surgeillancing the park for any signs of his father.

“Those letters helped a lot I’m guessing.” I smiled resting my head on his shoulder for a brief second.

“Yeah. I never knew he was trying to contact us. That’s all I really wanted, I hated him for forgetting about us but now that I know about the letters I’m not so mad at him anymore.” He explained as we watched Parker on the monkey bars.

“Are you mad at your mom for hiding the letters from you guys?” I questioned, forgetting to ask him about that earlier.

He took a moment before sighing and shaking his head, “No I’m not mad at her. I guess it was a smart thing to do, somewhat. I mean at first I would have probably been angry knowing that he was still trying to contact us- the first year. But the second and third year when I got mad at him forgetting about us I would have liked to known then. I guess it’s… complicated. I don’t know. I would have been mad but then I wouldn’t have been mad.” He explained, I tried to make sense of it and I did eventually.

I suppose at first he didn’t want anything to do with his father. But as years went on, when he expected that his father would try to talk to them he thought he didn’t, which made him angrier. I guess at first when you’re so angry with the person you don’t want anything to do with them. But then as time goes on all you want is to be noticed from the parent that abandoned you. Sometimes just to show how great you’re doing without them, or even just to show how life sucks after they did what they did wrong.

“I’m not mad at either of them. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to love and trust my dad off the bat.” Nate mentioned.

I smiled looking at him for a moment. He looked back at me questionably scrunching his brows, “You said dad. You’ve never said dad you’ve only said father or sperm donor. Never dad.” I mentioned proudly.

He still looked at me with that questionable look, thinking about it for himself, “Huh, I guess so.” He mumbled to himself. We grinned at each other for a moment then started watching Parker climb around the play set area.

Coming towards us a man in khaki trousers and a light blue button, with sleeves rolled to his elbows and some sunglasses on started to wave at us. I recognized him off the bat being Mr. O’Conner; no other parent would come here looking all business like. I waved to him, getting his attention that was already on us. He slowly walked towards us, a surprised look on his face with he raised his sunglasses over his eyes and on his head.

“Nate?” Tony questioned, tilting his head to the side, “Is that really you?” He grinned.

“It’s me.” Nate said with a small smile of his own.

“Surprise.” I sang, waving my jazz hands in the air. With a chuckle coming from me I watched as the both of them each other with a wondering look.

“I thought we could talk. It’s been a while.” Nathan spoke slowly looking for my hand on the bench to grab. I squeezed his hand comforting as his dad slowly and cautiously took a seat by his son.