Chapter 4*

Hermione's POV:

While I was still heartbroken over my falling out with Ron, I was unsurprised to discover that he was not. It felt like he moved on within seconds. Of course, he was dating the very blonde, very gorgeous Elizabeth Bennet, who was notorious for her, to put this lightly "sweater stretchers."

When I found out, I felt as if I had been stabbed in the gut, and every time I saw them together, I felt that knife being twisted around in my stomach. I ruined everything! Sure, he was horrible to me at times, but there was also a good side of him. I had loved him so much; I just couldn't bear to let him go. I remember the first time I stumbled upon them snogging in the corridor late at night.

I was walking back to the common room after a long night in the library, arms full of books, looking for the right stairwell when I heard the distinct hiss of a whisper followed by a giggle. I didn't slow down, used to these sounds coming from empty classrooms (and horny students)

I turned the corner of the corridor and panicked. Ron's red hair was unmistakable, even in the darkness. But entangled in his fiery locks were the pale fingers of Elizabeth Bennet.

Ron was all but pinned to the wall by Elizabeth's body, eyes closed as she placed love bites along his neck, giggling about how exciting it would be to get caught.

I was frozen. I wanted to scream or cry, but my throat felt constricted. I meant to run. I meant to disappear, to evaporate. Instead, I stood there. So when Ron opened hs eyes, he saw me. And he smiled slyly, lowering his hand to Elizabeth's bum and squeezing roughly, eliciting a girlish squeal from her. He was revelling in my shock.

So I ran. I felt the tears coming before I made it up the main stairway. Ginny spent the whole night comforting me. I didn't leave the girls dorms for an entire day.

°°°°°

The next few days, I was utterly inconsolable. I moped constantly, going from bed to food to class to food then bed with nothing in between. Ginny tried everything to cheer me up while Harry tried to get us back together, but neither of them found any success. They both did everything they could to keep the stories of Ron's string of conquests from reaching me, but they found even less success in this than their previous endeavours.

Through this time, the only thing that managed to hold my interest without making me break down was Malfoy's shenanigans, which Ginny kept me informed on. I'd never paid him any mind before, but more than once I found myself staring at him during lessons and wondering why the hell he thought it'd be wise to tell Pansy Parkinson to go to hell while had another girl on his lap, or why he would ever try to kiss some random guy who handed him his books when they fell. The walking enigma he was, Malfoy strolled around the school like he owned it, a constant smile on his face, though, in reality, he was far from. He'd only managed to gain permission to return to Hogwarts by the skin of his teeth, and he was on ministry probation.

Nevertheless, it seemed that every other day he was engaged in some new romantic tryst or otherwise starting some catfight. The more attention I focused on him, however, the more I began to wonder why I never saw him. I noticed this first when I was wandering the halls after hours completing my duties as Head Girl and heard some rather inappropriate noises.

Since that night I caught Ron I took extra care to stray far from those kinds of sounds while patrolling, but I was lost in my head sorting out the only thing that seemed to be able to hold my interest these days, the latest Malfoy disaster. As it was, I was so distracted I ran smack dab into someones back.

I stepped back quickly, an apology already on my lips when I noticed what I'd stumbled upon. A slender black haired witch I recognised as Alex Russo was draped across another wizard, her mussed hair and swollen lips evidence of what I'd interrupted. She giggled and looked a little sheepish, but I hardly noticed since I had my gaze trained on the wizard's face. "Malfoy," I breathed, unsure of whether the word had really left my lips. I expected smugness from him, but all the colour drained from his face and his eyes widened to give him the appearance of a kid caught with his hand in a cookie jar.