Chapter 20*

Hermione's POV:

Feet tucked under her as gracefully as could be managed on my twin sized bed, Ginny giggled beside me as I recounted the previous night's exploits in a certain secret room. Despite my many omissions and great effort to use language as delicate as possible, my firey haired friend was laughing up a storm at the little I'd told her.

Several calming breaths later, she mustered enough strength of will to wheeze out another question, "B+ huh? Think he'll let you have a retake?!" which promptly sent her into another fit of giggles.

Putting the most annoyed expression I could muster on my face (which wasn't very annoyed), I huffed at Ginny. "C'mon, much as I'd enjoy you poking fun at me for the rest of the night, we have to go eat. Harry and Ron are waiting for us."

Still laughing, she lifted herself off my bed and toed on her shoes. Wiping away a few last tears of mirth, Ginny threw her arm around me and guided me out the door. "In all honesty Mione, you have no idea how much I needed that, today of all days. I haven't had a chance to tell you, but I'm scared that Harry is-"

"Ginny!" From the bottom of the stairwell, a boisterous voice I couldn't place jokingly called out. "Hurry up, or so help me, I'll eat my foot!"

Ginny gasped with surprise, then dashed down the stairs ahead of me. Skipping the last couple steps, she leaped into the arms of a well-built man with a shock of silver hair and bright blue eyes, causing a wide smile to spread across Ron's face, making their connection evident. His hair wasn't silver like an old man's however but silver like moonbeams glinting off steel, an effect that had surely taken magic to produce.

Ginny grinned as they hugged, an activity that only made the man's impressive yet lean physique even more pronounced. "Vince! I missed you!" Harry shot the pair a look, eyeing the silver-haired man in a way I might have thought was lustful if it weren't for who Vince was hugging.

He chuckled and set her down, breaking the embrace. "Missed you too, Gin," he replied in a distinctly American accent. "You're the little kit to my aged cat."

Vince then stepped forward, extending a hand that I shook firmly. "Hermione, I presume. I'm Vince Reynolds."

"Pleased to meet you. What are you doing at Hogwarts, and with the Weasleys no less?"

"I'm an old friend of Charlie Weasley's, which hopefully explains my connection to these dorks." Vince gestured behind him to Ron and Ginny, who were apparently accustomed enough to his antics to smile good-naturedly at his remarks. "I'm visiting to interview for the defense position next year and hanging with these dweebs to see if I'll have anything to report to Molly about all the trouble they get into."

Ginny snorted, ruffling his hair. "More like see if you can make any trouble to blame on us."

The corner of Vince's mouth twitched as his eyes sparkled with mischief, but he spoke in a somber tone. "I would never."

This time Ron joined in with Ginny's raucous laughter, happier than I'd seen him in a while. Harry slapped a hand on Vince's shoulder, trying to look comfortable when he was clearly out of his element. "While I have a feeling you could give Peeves a run for his money, I don't think you'll be managing any mischief on an empty stomach, so we'd best head down to the Great Hall."

Ginny frowned at Harry, but I thought nothing of it since it seemed that's all she'd been doing lately. I made a mental note to ask her about whatever she was saying on the stairs later, but for now, I simply held her hand as we walked to the great hall. Vince was just behind us since he lagged behind to give Ron a hug and say something I probably misheard as "did you miss this tickle?"