Chapter 22*

"Spend the night with me in the secret room?" Draco asked, eyes hopeful.

Hermione's POV:

"Really? That seems a bit...not like 'bedroom lessons' anymore." His face fell. I'd just brought him back down to earth, reminded him that this...thing between us was nothing more than a pretense. Or...maybe not anymore. I rushed to correct myself. "Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, but are you sure?"

"Nothing would make me happier," Draco said, ducking his head as if those words were hard to say.

A soft smile parted my lips, as unstoppable as the rising tide. "Then I'd love that." I leaned in to kiss him softly, but I was not expecting the tsunami of passion that awaited me. Apparently, though he could lie with his eyes and his words, Draco's lips held the truth of his thoughts. Heat overwhelmed the embrace quickly, a flickering of sparks beginning where our lips met and spreading flames throughout me, down to the tips of my toes. He licked at my mouth, and I tasted minty chocolate and ice, which was somehow warm in the heat of our kiss. My hand ran up his side to tangle in his hair and the other slid under the front of his shirt, my hand skimming up his broad chest and landing, open-palmed, over his racing heart. Draco's hands wandered just as my much, one arm tightening around my waist tilt me away securely so we were at just the right angle for his tongue to explore me. His other hand fell to the dip of my back, his thumb just barely brushing over my hip bone in a tantalizing circular motion.

We pulled away from each other slowly, our lips clinging to each other as if the flames I'd felt had melted them together, as if an eternity would be too short an embrace. "Woah," Draco breathed, the word a mere exhale. Our proximity was such that I could feel his breath on my moist lips.

"Agreed. Where did that come from?" I whispered back, afraid a louder tone would shatter the perfection of what had just happened. Yet before Draco could answer, the sound of echoing footsteps reached my ears.

"Shit," he cursed, swinging me back to standing and clasping my hand tightly. "Let's go!"

We sprinted down the hall, but the footsteps just got faster behind us. Shit, what if it was Ron?! I wondered, panting as Draco pulled me along by the hand. Or Pansy?!

We had just reached the secret room when a voice hissed, "Who's there?"

Without a second's hesitation, Draco shoved me through the wall. The last thing I saw was his white-knuckled fist drawing his wand, ready to protect us.

Minutes later, he hadn't followed me to the safety of the room, but still, I waited. I wasn't sure how much time had passed when I clenched my jaw in determination. There was no way he was dealing with whoever had been chasing us all on his own. I strode out with a curse on the tip of my tongue.