Chapter Twenty

I opened my eyes as I  heard the hovercraft pull in and I knew Lloyd got in late, wherever he went to. Luke said it was a meeting, but I didn't plan on bringing it up back up. All I wanted was to ask Lloyd a question since the episode with David happened, but I had no idea if he would actually agree to it or not. I quietly got out of bed and went to open my door. I snuck down the hallway and peered down over the railing to see Lloyd had already walked in, discussing something with Caleb. It seemed Luke had already gone to bed so Caleb had the house to watch until Lloyd got back. I examined Lloyd's expression and he seemed to be angry about something. I lowered my eyes as sadness crept up. So now isn't the time to ask, I thought, quietly turning around so I could make my way back to my room without being seen.

"Did you need something, Kasey?" I jumped out of my skin when Lloyd raised his voice, and I whipped my head back around to see him looking at me with a gentle expression on his face. I rubbed the back of my head uneasily.

"You seem to have something else going, so never mind. I don't want to interrupt your work."

"Just tell me. I'm not too busy for you."

"I had a question," I said quietly while my cheeks turned slightly red from Lloyd's comment. Why did he feel the need to make that comment? He knew it would embarrass me.

"What is it?"

"Could you...take me to Safe Haven City? I...I want to visit my brother's grave. If you don't mind, that is."Just the thought of it made me sad all over again, but I had been dying to visit Shawn again. And since David was no longer in the picture, it felt right to visit him again. Lloyd looked at me questionably but after a moment nodded and smiled.

"Will Hailey be coming too?"

"Yes. I figured she would want to see Shawn at least once. Well, his grave anyway."

"Then we will leave early tomorrow morning. Don't be late."

"Thank you," I said smiling as I turned to leave. I was actually going to see Shawn again. Not physically, but it sounded good to me anyway. I climbed into my bed and closed my eyes, eagerly and patiently waiting for tomorrow to come. I stood by the hovercraft with Hailey, playing in the dirt with my show as we were waiting on Luke and Lloyd. I was getting impatient. Lloyd told me not to be late, and here he was taking his sweet, sweet time. It was quite obvious they weren't early risers, and Hailey and I usually weren't either but we were just too excited to even sleep. I looked up as I heard a door close and smiled when Lloyd and Luke came walking out of the house.

"It's about time!" Hailey called out. I chuckled when Lloyd and Luke looked up sleepily at her.

"I was hoping we wouldn't be keeping anyone waiting," Luke replied as he rubbed his eyes.

"Maybe someone should go to bed earlier then they wouldn't be so tired," Hailey joked. Luke just smiled kindly at her. Lloyd walked up to me and glanced down at me, his eyebrow raised.

"What?" I asked as I returned his gaze.

"I'm waiting for your little comment."

"I wasn't going to say anything. It's not my fault we had to wait on you," I said winking. Lloyd just smiled at me before gently nudging me with his arm. We piled into the hovercraft and took off, watching as we sped past the landscape. On the way there, I watched Hailey continuously pick on Luke, and he would allow it. I ended up smiling as a thought occurred to me; wherever Hailey was, Luke was there too. That's definitely not a coincidence, I thought to myself as I continued to watch. I covered my mouth and laughed quietly. Hailey looked over her shoulder at me and smiled, winking and putting a finger to her lips before continuing messing with Luke. She's a sneaky little devil. I looked over and saw Lloyd looking at me with his eyebrows raised and I looked away as my smile grew. Speaking of devils, he's the king of them, I thought. Before long, Safe Haven City came into view, and I crawled up to the front and stood on my knees beside Hailey. I never thought I'd see this city again.