Chapter Twenty-Seven

Behind Brandon's house was a hidden door which led down into an arena, where Brandon had planned the match all along. Everything was already set up and ready to go. The Bounty God's soldiers led me up into the stands while Lloyd and Brandon made their way to the arena. I was in between the soldier and the Bounty God himself, and a bad feeling started welling up in my chest. I watched as Lloyd and Brandon started attaching a different kind of glove to their hand, and I cocked my head to the side when I realized how massive it was. The designs on the glove were different from the viper cord gloves I was used to seeing. From what I could see, this glove was made for one purpose, and that was for pain.

"That is a Brawlers glove." I jumped when the Bounty God spoke up, and I looked at him with nervous eyes. He smiled gently over at me, almost as if to reassure me, and then turned his attention back into the ring.

"What's a Brawlers glove?" I asked hesitantly, wondering if I could even speak with him.

He smiled at my question. "A Brawlers glove as electrical energy in it, and can cause nerve and tissue damage when hit. Hunters use this glove to fight each other, and its impact on the human body can be deadly. Depending upon the skill and strength of the Hunter, it won't cause too much damage." I looked nervously over at Lloyd, who was strapping his gigantic glove on with a deadly expression plastered on his face. Why is he going through with this? He can't get hurt! I watched as both of them turned to face one another and after a split hesitation, they lunged at each other. The impacts they landed with the gloves caused echoes throughout the stadium arena and the ground shook from the vibrations. I watched in horror as Lloyd was forced to go defensive, putting his arms up to block Brandon's blows. I put my hands over my mouth, my body shaking as Brandon saw his opportunity and started nailing Lloyd harder and harder. Five minutes into the match and Lloyd was covered in giant bruises, some starting to form large red whelps. "You seem strained, young one."

I glanced over to see the Bounty God looking at me with a gleeful expression and I couldn't help but to narrow my eyes slightly at him as I lowered my hands from my mouth. Gee, could it be because you can see how tense I am? Good observation, old man! I wanted to say what was on my mind, but knew I would probably be killed for talking to the Bounty God in such a manner. Instead, I lowered my eyes to the floor before glancing back up at Lloyd, who had just succeeded in nailing Brandon in the side.

"Why are you allowing this?" I whispered, trying to hold my composure so I didn't yell.

The Bounty God sighed. "It's necessary. We can't have them always fighting like this and this will settle all scores. Besides, both of them wanted this, so I'm not going to intervene. I'm quite interested to see what will happen. I've never seen them like this." No, I thought. I had a flash back to where I would stand by and watch Shawn take the beatings from our drunken father. Tears gathered in my eyes as I watched Lloyd. He's doing the same thing Shawn did, and he's doing it for me. I watched as Lloyd got hit several times in a row and then he would nail Brandon a couple times before going back on the defensive. He's losing, I thought, a knot starting to form in my stomach. I glanced over at the Bounty God, who was eagerly watching the fight, before I jumped over the railing and landed squarely on my feet. I took off towards the arena and I heard the shout of the soldier behind me, but I didn't care what he said or what the rules were; I was tired of seeing Lloyd get hurt on my behalf. Lloyd had proven something I never thought would ever happen; he was fighting to keep me. As I got closer to the ring, my heart beat picked up as it pounded through my chest. Stop Lloyd! I yelled in my head. You've done enough! Lloyd shoved Brandon backwards, giving a big enough space between them to where I could squeeze in. I took my chance and dove into the arena, standing between both of them with my arms held up to the sides. I stood facing Lloyd and I tried to keep my face neutral in expression as his eyes fell on me.