Chapter sixteen

Everything was fine in the Beatles hotel room, until the paperthe next two following days.

Right smack on the front page was two men holding hands in what seemed to be at night. It wasn't too dark but it wasn't too clear either. Even if they weren't facing the camera (shot by a stalker paparazzi, maybe) Ringo could still recognize that it was John and Paul judging by the hair and the striped scarf Paul wore to their "secret" date b

"Great!" John yelled. "Just fucking great! Now the whole fucking world knows we're queer, Mccartney!"

Paul's mouth was set in a thin line. If looks could kill, John would have died three times over.

John faced the bassist. "This is all your fucking fault, McCartney." He seethed.

His face turned red with anger. "My fault?! Well I'm sorry that I only wanted to have a date with my fucking boyfriend! Guess that's bad now, huh?" He stormed off upstairs, stomping all the way.

"I'm going with Paul, again," George sighed.

Ringo kissed his cheek. "Prepare yourself for a wet shirt, then."

"Thanks, Ritchie." George managed a weak smile before heading up to see Paul. Seeing the sobbing wreck curled up in the bed, sadness overflowed him. It hurt seeing Paul cry. Well, it hurt to see anyone cry but whenever Paul sobbed, he cried his heart out. George hugged his bandmate and rubbed comforting circles on his back.

"We could always deny it, Macca." George said, wiping the tears from Paul's cherub cheeks with his thumbs. "Eppy would think of something, he always does. It'll go away soon enough."

"B-But I don't want it to go a-away," Paul sobbed. "I-I want the whole world to know that I love John and he loves me back. But the world thinks it's wrong, Gear. Wrong!" His voice cracked at the end, making George widen his eyes.

"I know, Paulie. The world's a bitch sometimes." He mumbled, his chin propped up on the top of Paul's head. "I hate that being gay is something taboo and illegal and shit. After all it's only love. You and John always stay together, though."

Paul sniffed and wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. "H-He doesn't want the press to know. He prefers our love to be a secret. I'm a dark, dirty, little secret because he's ashamed of it." Paul's voice became rough from crying but George could still hear the anger forming in his words.

"He isn't ashamed of you Paulie! Of course he loves you. You shouldn't think like that." The guitarist shooked his head in dismay. "He loves you and you love him back, right?"

Paul frowned. "I know he's been seeing someone. I just know it, Georgie. A fucking bird probably."

He rolled his eyes. "You're just paranoid, Paul."

He glared at him, making George quickly shut up. "Oh yeah? If I had placed hickeys on his neck I would've known because I, myself, put them there. But I don't remember putting some on his jaw, which means it isn't mine!" He gritted his teeth. "He came home once with a smudged lipstick mark on his cheek. And that was last week, Gear."

"You know how girls chase after us, Paulie. Maybe some fans got to him." George assured him. But a part of him wanted to actually believe Paul. In the state Paul was in, anybody would believe him.

"M-Maybe..." Paul sniffed again. "I must sound crazy," He gave George a weak, humorless laugh.

"Well if John does cheat on you with a bird, I'll sock him." George made a threatening gesture, but Paul laughed at it.

"John's tougher than you think, Georgie. But yeah, thanks." Paul smiled. George sighed, happy that his best mate didn't look like a miserable mess anymore.

'John wouldn't really cheat on him... right?' George thought. He felt a sinking feeling in his heart.

----------

"You shouldn't have blamed him, John." Ringo crossed his arms. "It's the pap's fault, not his."

"He was the one who suggested the date," John grumbled. He crossed his arms, challenging the other.

Ringo huffed. "Sometimes you're just a stubborn git, you know that?" He took a seat and grabbed the paper. "Paul Mccartney and John Lennon, queer?!" He read, exaggeratedly, flipping the newspaper to find the article. "Last night, 2/4 of the worldwide famous British rock and roll band The Beatles--- that's very specific of them--- were found alone in the park, allegedly holding hands."

John seemed relieved, somehow. "Good thing they only saw us holding hands. What more about the kissing?" He placed his face into his hands, groaning. "I can't do this. I-I can't---"

Ringo slapped the back of John with the newspaper.

"Ow! What---"

The drummer was glaring at him, blue eyes stormy. "Out of all the bullshit I heard out of your mouth, Lennon, this is the shittiest one yet."

"You don't understand, Ritchie!" He yelled, making the other flinch. He quickly backed down, eyes casting down to the floor.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, John. It looks like you're afraid." Ringo challenged. "You're fucking afraid that your reputation and fame would go down the drain just because you got a relationship with Paul."

John looked like he had been punched in the gut. "I-I'm not..." He struggled with his words. "I just don't want it out, okay? I don't want this to ruin everything. I don't... I d-don't want Paul to get hurt." His voice turned into a whisper, his eyes turned glassy. It was a rare sight for Ringo and he immediately regretted calling him 'afraid'. He looked up, sincerity flashing in his eyes.

"I don't want Paul to get hurt, okay?" John said, emotion filling his voice. "Okay?"

"Fuck, I'm sorry John..." He gave out a sigh. "I shouldn't have---"

"It's fine," John insisted.

The drummer frowned and picked up the newspaper again, reading the headlines once more.

Paul Mccartney and John Lennon, queer?!

"Brian'll cover it up. He always does." Ringo said, setting the paper down again. "Paul would understand."

"I hope he does," John sighed. "I'm doing this for all of us. You do know that, right Ritchie?"

'Why is the world so fucking cruel?' "I know that, John." He nodded. "But you better explain to Paul it well or you'll get clobbered in the bloody cheek again."

--------

Some drama coming up. Sorry if most parts are McLennon-problems and not Starrison's. But hey! The whole homophobic world of the 60s "know". It's only a rumor. And Paul wants that rumor turned into a fact.

So why don't you----

VOTE
SHARE
COMMENT

---- if you enjoyed it!~

Love you all,

~Grace 💙❤️💜💛💚

PS

Paul's "yesss" in The Night Before is so fucken hot asdfghjkl help me