21. The Slow Descent

"Freeze... Myself?" She utters carefully. Hebiyo's eyes lower and his bangs shadow over his face. "Meaning I have to kill myself... To kill him...?" Her voice lowers down a considerable amount. Her face expresses no emotion, but her hands shake slightly.

"..Yes." He answers back just as softly. His tears halt forcibly and his arms tremble more violently than before. He reddens and looks away and his eyes narrow. "That is the only way... I'm informed of at least."

The two sit in silence, basking in the essence of the moonlight. The blond then opens her mouth, hesitantly, and says, "That's fine with me." The blue haired boy snaps his head towards the girl, who only smiles at him gently. Her eyes brim with light, but no tears escape from her eyes. "I'm fine with it. The next time he threatens my family, I'll make sure he won't live to see the light."

"You're determined." Hebiyo sighs, wiping his face again to ensure a clean face. "That's for sure. I don't think even I could sacrifice myself like that-- and I'm stupidly brave y'know?" He laughs unsurely, scratching his cheek nervously. Katsumi chuckles in reply, very softly however. 

"You're plenty strong, and brave too." She comments halfheartedly, laying back against the bark of a tree. "You're not stupid though. You knew all this time, and you probably kept it away from me too.."

"I did." He admits sheepishly, glancing away from her fragile body. "It's just that... I thought you would be better off knowing. You don't seem like the type of person that could be fixated on revenge, and I just didn't want Daichi to ruin your life like this. Worrying over something like this, it really changes a person."

"I... I see. I may not seem like it, but I'm a really simple person." Katsumi grins with a toothy smile. She then frowns and looks into the vast water. "I get scared when I encounter him; he grows stronger every time. I got angry when he took Lucy hostage, and that's what drove me forward-- and it's easy for me to want to kill someone or beat them to a pulp nowadays."

". . . That's normal for human beings. To get angry when they're faced with frustrations, or to get scared when threatened." Hebiyo says, sounding strangely more mature. He swishes some, of his pale blue hair out of his eyes as he grabs Katsumi's wrists gently. Holding them preciously within his rough hands, he smiles. She doesn't respond, but instead looks at him with eyes of vicious lightning. "I met a lot of determined humans like you on the island when I was inhabiting the serpentine body. They were angry that the serpents continued to torment the villagers, and when faced with dangers of even genocide, they continued fighting. That's how humans work."

"We can't run." The blond says firmly, unwavering. "I can't run from this. I've been doing so, and you are my witness. So when the time comes that I have to face this danger head on, please."

". . I'm listening." 

"Protect my family. That's all I'm ordering for you to do, as my servant and all."

". . . Is this your will?"

"Of course it is."

"I see..." He murmurs under his breath. He then grabs her hands and holds it up in his larger hands. His hands, warm from wiping his tears, grasp hers, fingers and all. "I can't refuse.. If there was just someway to stop the curse of the crystal angel..."

"The curse of the crystal angel huh. Sounds like a good book title." Katsumi says as her fingers curl up within his grip. "I'm glad that you'll take care of them all. They're plenty strong, just like you, and I wish I could just stay, a little longer perhaps."

"Katsumi...-chan?" 

"I regret leaving so many times on missions. If I knew this was my end, I would have spent more time with my older brother, my grandpa... My family." She says, a smile plastered on to her face. Her face reddens as she glares down. "I regret it..."