Chapter 21 - Give A Girl A Break

The party was pretty wild. More people came than we anticipated, since people invited their friends along, who asked their other friends, who would only come if their boyfriend or girlfriend could come with. The building was full of dancing, sweaty bodies, shots of alcohol, and shouting over the obnoxiously loud music.

It wasn’t quite how I imagined the coming-out party for Niall and I, but it would do. At least it meant that all these people supported our relationship.

The other boys had long since disappeared in the crowd, but Niall and I were sitting by the drink-serving area. We were watching all the people to make sure nothing was broken. We may be filthy rich, but it doesn’t mean we’d like to have to replace every fragile decoration or object in the house. However, after about an hour of doing this, Niall grew bored.

“Li…” he whined softly.

I groaned, knowing I would agree with whatever he was about to say just because he was my little leprechaun. “What is it?”

“I want to go do something.”

At this, I rolled my eyes. “We are doing something, silly; we’re at a party! Our own party.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, but I thought that we’d be having a bit more fun, you know, enjoying the festivities. It’s a party for the two of us finally being free and all I wanted was to taste a piece of that, but I guess my wishes are never fulfilled, huh?” His expression fell as he rambled on.

“Hey, look at me.” I grabbed his chin so he would focus on my face. “It may not be what we wanted, but it represents so much more than tonight. The fact that we’re able to have this party means that we can be together all the time now, no more holding back.”

He sighed. “I know, and I’m excited for it. I just wish that, just for once, our lives could just be about us and not the press. Don’t you?”

“Of course I do, love. I just know how to be patient. We’ll have that someday.” I tapped his nose and he scrunched it up, giggling at me. “Let’s go try to enjoy this party, shall we?”

With smiles on our faces and our arms linked, hands intertwined, we made our way out into the mess of people and soon found ourselves dancing along to the blaring music, getting lost in ourselves. I grinned goofily as I tugged Niall closer to me, moving my hips in time with his as he tried to imitate my better dancing skills. Just because he’s my boyfriend doesn’t mean I can’t make fun of him, and boy, does Niall need some help in the dancing department. It’s amazing how he can sing so well, yet has absolutely no accurate rhythm.

A few songs in, something slow came on and the people dancing changed to match the music, partnering up and pulling each other close. I had lost Niall at some point during the last song, so I shrugged and ducked under stray arms and around lazy bodies, trying to find him so I wouldn’t be the one dancing awkwardly alone.

To my utter surprise, I found him dancing with someone else. My baby Niall was across the floor dancing with Demi in his arms. I groaned; hadn’t she been warned enough the first time when she saw how she had come between us?

Coming in closer, I lay a gentle hand on her shoulder, tightening my fingers just a bit as a warning. I couldn’t do much since I would never hurt a lady, but I wanted her to know she was intruding. “May I cut in?” I politely requested.

“But you get him all the time,” she whined, pouting out her lower lip, “can’t I have him just this once? We’re friends too, you know.”

Ah, the guilt card. I could already feel the guilt seeping in as I realized that she was right and I had indeed been taking up all of Niall’s time, so I turned to him to confirm that they were friends and he didn’t mind her dancing with him instead of me. He nodded.