Chapter 17 - Take Off Your Own Clothes

When we came back inside from our impromptu celebration of Niall and I’s relationship, the phone was ringing. I rushed over to grab it before the tone, but I was too late. I sighed.

Just then, my phone started buzzing on the table. My brows furrowed. Who would be calling at such a random time? Reaching out, I flipped the phone over to read the name and number. Simon Cowell.

As happy as I had been, I felt the nerves come rushing back in. Why was he calling? Had he found out about us? Would he break us up? Why did he feel a need to call me in the middle of the day? I felt sick.

There was a light touch on my back. “Liam?” a sweet Irish voice soothed, “What’s wrong?”

I turned around in his arms, staring into his glowing eyes. I couldn’t let his happiness be dimmed again because of my stupid worries. “It’s nothing, Ni.”

“Are you sure?” he raised an eyebrow.

“Positive.” He still looked skeptical, so I quickly moved on. “Someone’s just called me is all... I’ll be in the other room to call back.” Niall nodded and moved aside to let me leave.

“Wait!” he called out as I reached the doorway. I swiveled to see him directly behind me, much closer than I had expected. “Can I have a goodbye kiss?” he pouted.

I chuckled at his adorable expression. “There’s no need for you to even ask. Just kiss me already.” He leaned in to give me a sweet peck, and our lips stayed connected for a bit. It was only when my phone began to buzz again that we let go of each other, my face apologetic.

“Go take that call, Li. I’ll see you when you’re done,” Niall promised me. I bit my lip, quickly moving to the closest room and shutting the door before accepting the call.

Simon picked up, his voice impatient. “How many times do I have to call for you to pick up, Liam? I thought you were the responsible one!”

“Sorry, Simon. I was just outside having fun with the others,” I explained nervously.

“Ah, I see. Would you care to explain to me what’s going on with you boys?”

I gulped. “What would you say if I told you that it’s all about me and Niall?”

He chuckled. “I would say that much is pretty obvious.”

Holding my breath, I went straight in. “What would you say if I told you that Niall and I are together, and actually have been together for months? And the mess you heard about is due to a complication involving Danielle and me being an idiot?”

“Is that what’s happened, Liam? Don’t deny it if that’s true.”

I hesitated. Was it really a good idea to tell him? He had the power to split us up, to make one of us leave the band, to never let us near each other again, to-

“I’m waiting.”

“Yes, it’s true. It’s all true,” I admitted quietly.

His only response was a lighthearted laugh. “I knew you two had it in for each other. I was just waiting to see when you’d figure it out.” I could imagine his eyes lighting up by the tone of his voice.

“Wait, so… you’re not mad?” I questioned.

“No. It was bound to happen at some point or other. Every boy-band has at least one gay member, after all, and the more creative they are, the more gay members you’ll find. You boys are a smash hit, so I was expecting some of you to come out sooner or later.”

I gasped. “Simon, that’s just mean! What if we hadn’t turned out like this? What if we’d all been perfectly straight? Would you have forced us to be together?”