Chapter 16 - Stay Like This Forever

When I woke the following day, I was scared that it had all been a dream. I thought that maybe Niall coming to me and taking me back was something my imagination had conjured to heal my shredded heart, because he wasn’t curled in my arms as I had expected.

I felt tears prick at the corners of my eyes. I loved him so much, and I knew that I had been terrible to him. Of course I had imagined his return; why would he take me back so welcomingly in reality? I didn’t deserve him. Before I knew it, my head was buried in my hands and I was scratching at my eyes furiously, begging myself not to cry again.

“Li? Is something the matter?” an angelic voice called to me. Wait a minute, it sounded quite familiar.

“Niall!” I exclaimed, throwing myself into his arms. He stumbled back a few steps, surprised by my weigh, but still managed to hold me up.

“Is there something to which I owe this pleasure? Not that I mind, but it’s a little early to be so affectionate,” he chuckled.

I felt my body relax in his hold and breathed a sigh of relief. I hadn’t been dreaming after all; Niall was mine once again. I felt a satisfied smile slide across my features as I giddily took his hand and skipped to the kitchen. “You’re going to think it’s stupid,” I shook my head.

He came up beside me, wrapping his arms around my waist and gripping my hips so I spun and pressed against his chest. My breath hitched dangerously as I felt how close our bodies were. “I could never think anything you have to say is stupid,” he reassured me.

“Even when I’m being a total idiot?” I thought of my cruel words that I had only just begun apologizing for.

“Liam, I will love you when you’re an idiot. I’ll love you when you’re happy, when you’re sad, when you’re tired, when you’re broken, when you’re here, when you’re pushing me away, and every day in between. That’s what love is about.”

His gaze fell on mine, and an intense feeling grew in my heart. That was the moment that I realized that he was mine, and I was his, and neither of us was going to let go of our relationship ever again. His words were so sweet, unlike anything I’d been told truthfully before.

“I love you too, Nialler. Forever,” I promised him, and his eyes sparkled.

I was proud to be the reason for that glimmer. Over the past few weeks, his eyes had dulled and his appearance had been uncared for. I couldn’t say too much better for myself, but I was impressed that my love had so much effect on him. I was grateful for how much he cared, and continually scolded myself for being so oblivious when I left him.

“I don’t deserve you,” I let slip sadly. A finger pulled at my jaw, and my head rose until I could see his eyes once more. Only this time, they held a more serious look and his tone was firm.

“Don’t you ever say that again. You deserve everything I can give you and more, Liam. You’ve been under so much pressure since we got together, and I’ve been taking it for granted that you’re here trying to be strong enough to keep the both of us in hiding. You’ve been my rock, now let me be yours.”

As he finished speaking, I sighed. He could read me like an open book. I let him pull me into another embrace, this one tighter and meant to comfort the both of us. It felt incredible. I glanced up to run a hand through his ruffled hair, only to find him peering back down at me. Neither of us said anything, but we both began to lean in.

It was our first proper kiss since before I had split us up. I was unwilling to count the one at the little bakery, because neither of us was in our best state of mind right then. Our lips brushed softly at first, as if testing the newly flowing waters. Finally I used the hand already in his hair to pull Niall in just a little closer, and our lips smashed together.

Our kiss wasn’t perfect. It was sloppy and needy and our teeth hit a few times, but those little things made it all the more worthwhile. It didn’t matter how perfect the kiss was; as long as it was with him then I would enjoy it. We clung to each other, neither of us wanting to let go. It was as if we were in our own little bubble where time didn’t exist, where it was only the two of us and our love and happiness. I wished we could stay like this forever, as if I could take this memory and come back to it whenever I had a doubt. For the first time in a while, my heart felt complete.

“Hey b