Chapter 10 - If She Let Me Go

The days passed by quickly, and soon I found myself repacking my bags for my return to London.

I still felt as if seeing Niall would make me fall back into the darkness I’d run to escape from. But I’d made a promise to Danielle, and I didn’t want to be breaking any more promises. She deserved that much from me.

As the last of my shirts was stuffed in and the bag was heaved into the back of the car, I let out a sigh. I would never admit it, but I was somewhat happy to be going back. I’d missed being in a familiar place, and my daily talks with Danielle had really helped calm me. I may not be entirely over Niall, but I knew I wasn’t the same broken boy that had arrived here just a short week ago.

On the way back to London I kept the radio down low, focusing on what I was going to do now. I had to stay in London, because I knew that’s what Danielle would want me to do. I would have to see the boys again, and most likely have an interview (or lots of them) to explain my sudden disappearing act. There was no way the media hadn’t caught on to the fact that I wasn’t with the rest of the boys, so I would have to have an excuse ready.

And then there was the issue of Niall and Danielle, which still hadn’t been resolved. I knew I couldn’t have both of them, because they would both get hurt in the end. But I also knew I didn’t want to fully let go of either. I’d realized that I did in fact have some love for Danielle inside me; I just hadn’t seen it because I was always focused on Niall. I felt bad for telling her otherwise.

Before I knew it, I was pulling up to the front of our house. I quietly opened the door, dragging my bag with me. “Hello? Is anybody home?” I called out.

“Liam?” A shocked voice replied. “You’re back! We missed you so much; don’t you dare leave us ever again!”

As the slightly older boy embraced me, I chuckled. “Yeah, sorry about that. I’d really worked myself up and I just needed some space to think for a bit. I know I got you guys all worried, but I’m back now, and that’s all that matters. Right?” He smiled, pulling me closer.

“LIAM!” Harry and Louis were hot on Zayn’s heels, crushing us in a giant hug.

“Mates… can’t… breathe…” I gasped out, and they stepped back. I gulped for air. “Is Niall here?”

“No,” Zayn mumbled, looking away. I looked to the ground as I felt my eyes watering. I had to leave to make sure we would be okay, and he couldn’t even be here when I came back? I really had ruined any friendship between us.

“Right, I guess I shouldn’t have expected him to be. So, on a scale of one to ten, how angry was management? Did you show them my letter?” I pasted a smile on my face, knowing it would soothe the boys to see me happy again.

“Why would we show them your letter? That was obviously only meant for Danielle and us. We just told them you left and we didn’t know when you were coming back, and they freaked out. Like, seriously, we’re in some deep trouble. I’d give them an 11. Lou?”

Louis grimaced. “I agree with Haz on this, they were pretty upset. You should probably call them and explain yourself before they drive themselves incurably insane, Liam.”

I winced nervously, “You see, about that… I can’t tell them everything I’m assuming you guys now know, between what Niall and Danielle probably said. I’m still thinking of what I can tell them that won’t get me kicked out of the band for good. And I kind of promised Danielle I’d see her today, and if I’m not at her house soon she’ll likely call everyone she knows to start a search and rescue mission for me. Do you boys mind if I get back to you on that later?” They quickly shook their heads, recognizing that I was serious about how extreme Danielle’s reactions could be. She was protective of the people she cared about.