Chapter 14 - Not Available

The first thing I did when I woke the next morning was grab my phone and call Dani. She picked up after a few rings, her voice groggy. “Who is it?” she slurred.

“It’s Liam. I’m so sorry I never came over, Dani! But I found him.”

She didn’t seem too surprised. “I knew you would, Li, you’ll always find your way to Niall.”

The way she said it made me think she wasn’t just talking about finding him when he was lost. It was as if she was suggesting I would find my way back into his arms, but there was no way she would be suggesting such a thing. She was my girlfriend. I was probably just being paranoid.

“You there?” her voice sounded a bit more awake.

“Yeah, just spaced for a few seconds. I called because even though I found him, I messed it up again and I think it’s because of you!”

I heard a sharp intake of breath from the other end of the line, and I frowned and rolled my eyes. “No, that came out wrong. I think he still loves me, Dani,” I whispered.

“Look, Liam, we both know you can’t get over someone that quickly. If you’re honest with yourself, I bet you’re not even over him yet, so how can you expect Niall to move on from the one he truly loved?”

“Danielle, look, I’m with you now,” I tried to interrupt her, but she kept going as if I hadn’t spoken.

“You broke him, Liam. I know you’re trying to forget and you’re trying to pretend like everything is just fine, but you broke your best friend’s heart. No, you shattered it. He’s not going to come running back that easily, and he’s not going to want to be just friends.

It’s not going to be easy to earn his trust, Liam, and if you ever want to hold him again then I suggest you start by doing everything you can to make him realize you do care. Show him you’re not the guy he thinks you are, and maybe then he’ll come home to you.”

My mouth dropped open. “How can you say that? You knew I came to you for help moving on! I don’t want him back, Danielle; I just want him to come back to the band! I never said anything about that. I love you Dani, and I’m your boyfriend!”

She let out a frustrated groan. “I love you, Liam, you know I do. But I took a step back for a minute, and you know what I realized? You don’t love me as much as you love him, and you never will. It won’t matter how much you convince yourself and try to convince the rest of us, but you will always love him deep inside. It’s like you two were meant for each other, and there’s absolutely nothing I could or would do to split apart the bond you share. I just can’t, Liam! I love you too much to see you sad. If you love something, let it go…” she trailed off, noticing that the rest of the quote didn’t apply in her case.

“Fine. If you’re going to be like this, then we’re better off apart. I can’t believe you’re trying to tell me that I made a mistake getting over him, when you were the one to offer your help in the first place! We’re through, and this is something I know I’m not going to regret later. Goodbye, Danielle.”

I slammed my hand down on my phone, successfully ending the call but also managing to toss the object across the room. My body fell back on the pillows, not caring about the possibly ruined device.

Danielle and I were done. I couldn’t believe that after all this time, after she’d promised not to give up on me and to help me move forward with my messed-up life, she was letting go. I’d just always assumed that she would be there to help, and now that I knew I couldn’t go to her I felt so alone.

There was nobody I could trust myself to talk to. Louis and Harry were still in their own worlds, which revolved around each other. Zayn was upset about what he could tell I was hiding from him. I would never talk to management about a problem like this, and my family was unavailable.