The Beast Below (pt 1)

I was simple, as a little girl. All I wanted was to touch the clouds on an airplane and expect them to feel like cotton candy. I didn't start to like space until later in high school.

Amy, however, had been dreaming of space ever since the police box crashed in her backyard. This is why the Doctor was holding her ankle while she floated up in space, her hair flowing in the atmosphere, and I just hugged the side of the TARDIS and looked out into the stars, waving my hand around, trying to take in the fact that this was real. This was really happening.

"Come on, Pond." The Doctor said, pulling Amy back inside. "Now do you believe me?"

She laughed while he let go of her. "Okay, your box is a spaceship. It's really, really a spaceship." I smiled at her and let my leg swing out of the TARDIS while she yelled. "We are in space! Woo!" She laughed again and took a deep breath. "What am I breathing?"

"Yeah, how does-- Woah!" I let myself swing out too far and almost lost my grip on the TARDIS door, but thankfully I felt someone tug me back by the arm. I twisted myself to try and turn around, but that only caused me to stumble even further, into the Doctor's arms.

"Thanks," I blushed, pulling away from him before he could respond and stood next to Amy, who shook her head at me.

"I've extended the air shell, we're fine." The three of us looked down to see grimy skyscrapers floating by on the starship below us. "Now, that's interesting. 29th century," The Doctor went back to the console and began messing with it again, and I followed him. "Solar flares roast the Earth, and the entire human race packs its bags and moves out till the weather improves. Whole nations..."

"Doctor?" Amy started, but he kept on talking.

"...migrating to the stars,"

"Doctor?!" She asked again. I walked over to her to see her hanging on to the outside of the TARDIS floating upwards and panting fearfully.

"Isn't that amazing?" he rambled.

"Doctor!" I yelled, and he immediately looked up to see me trying to grab for Amy. He walked over to us and smiled. "Well, come on. I've found us a spaceship!" He was able to reach up to Amy and help her down steadily and led us to a small window.

"This is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland— all of it, bolted together and floating in the sky. Starship UK. It's Britain, but metal. That's not just a ship— that's an idea. That's a whole country, living and laughing and... shopping." Amy chuckled, but all I could do was smile sadly. I knew that the idea had gone wrong, and a poor creature was being tortured, but I still wasn't sure about what I was and wasn't allowed to say, so I let him continue. "Searching the stars for a new home."

"So..." I trailed.

"Can we go out and see?" Amy asked excitedly.

"Course we can. But first, there's a thing." The Doctor walked back over to the TARDIS monitor.

"A thing?" Amy asked, following.

"An important thing. In fact, thing one-– we are observers only. That's the one rule I've always stuck to in my travels. I never get involved in the affairs of other peoples or planets." I snorted a bit to myself. "Ooh! That's interesting," he remarked, looking at a little girl crying alone on a bench in the TARDIS monitor.

"So we're like a wildlife documentary, yeah? Cause if they see a wounded little cub or something, they can't just save it— they've got to keep filming and let it die." Amy remarked sadly, staring at the girl I knew to be Mandy on the screen.

"Don't worry, he's totally lying," I almost smiled to myself, remembering what people said about him all the time. "Rule one."

"What do you mean?" she asked me. But before I could answer, the Doctor appeared on the monitor, consoling the little girl. I smiled a bit when he turned to face the camera and motioned for us to come out. Amy and I both rushed out of the TARDIS without a second thought, only for both of us to be taken aback by the sight before us.