Vampires in Venice (pt 1) / Tests (pt 1)

It was obvious that the woman sitting on the throne was of the nobility. Not only was there the fact that it was a throne she was sitting on, but in Venice 1580, she was able to carry herself with elegance even while sitting down, an inquisitive look on her face as she observed the two people walking towards her.

The man and his daughter curtsied before the woman, before the man spoke, getting directly to the point. He slightly feared the woman, but everyone did. Especially since she was known to be really strict about whom she accepted, and this... this was their only chance at a better life, a new beginning. "Signora, your school offers a chance for betterment, escape. My daughter..." the man nervously took off his cap, trying to show as much respect and class as he could. "Isabella is 17 now, but what prospects are there for the daughter of a boat-builder? There's no future for us. No future but you."

The woman looked down, hiding her smugness. "I am moved by your concern for your daughter. I believe protecting the future of one's own is a sacred duty."

"Signora," the man took his daughter's hand sincerely, "She is my world."

The woman smiled slightly, though not really making much of an effort. "Then we will take your world."

The man and his daughter looked at each other in disbelief, and laughed joyfully, hugging each other. "I knew it!" The man exclaimed, letting go of his daughter.

The woman stood suddenly. "Say goodbye to your daughter," she interrupted simply.

The man's face fell. "Now, Signora?"

"Why wait?" The woman shrugged, nodding to one of her guards.  "Time ticks."

The guard walked up to the man, signaling he had to go now. The man grabbed his daughter's hand quickly. "Be brave, my girl," he kissed her hand. "Make me proud," he told her, being escorted away.

As soon as Isabella's father was out the door, the woman turned to her sharply. "Step into the light, my dear."

Isabella walked forward hesitantly. Her father told her to be brave, but she couldn't keep the fearful look off her face when Francesco went to slam the door, and began circling around her with the woman, as if staring down prey.

"What say you, Francesco? Do you like her?" The woman asked.

"Oh, I do, Mother. I do," he replied, smiling, and then showing his fangs. Isabella screamed, realizing too late that staring down their prey was exactly what they were doing.

888

I wanted to think that I wasn't the worst daughter ever for being extremely overjoyed when dinner was over and I got to leave Sally's presence, but I probably was. I dragged Meredith (who had come over) back to my room so fast it was a shame.

Sally was nice and pretty and all, but she kept staring at me like I was going to burst out crying any second for no apparent reason, so careful, so observant-- and it was creeping me out. I didn't understand why she kept looking at me like that, so I kept shifting around awkwardly under her steady gaze. 

And of course, Meredith being Meredith, she was naturally shifting around awkwardly anyway. She made pleasant small talk, but most of the conversation at the dinner table was carried on by my father, who spilled the details of their oh-so-hilarious field mission, and Meredith's random inputs of, "That sounds nice," and "Oh, really?" here and there, just out of politeness.

But now that I thought about it, maybe the stale air and not-so-discreet looks of freaking-say-something from my father were better than my situation right now, sitting on my fluffy purple carpet on the floor, staring up at Meredith who was sitting crisscrossed on my bed.