A Christmas Carol (pt 3)

Every year, or rather, few hours or so, The Doctor, Dylan, and I returned to Abigail's cyrochamber with a new idea of something to do. My anger turned into an adrenaline that lasted a surprisingly long time, and I was up for anything for awhile, much to the obvious worry of both the Doctor and Dylan. But I didn't care for either of their worry anymore-- only that everything stayed on track.

"Well, you know the drill-- any Christmas Eve, we have them all." I reminded Abigail, and Kazran, who was now a poster-boy looking teenager.

"Might I make a request?" Abigail inquired softly, fidgeting by the TARDIS console.

"Sure," the Doctor responded curiously.

"This one."

888

"So, we'll see you next year?" I asked Kazran, knowing that we wouldn't.

"Listen, why don't we just leave it?" Kazran asked.

The Doctor didn't understand. "Sorry, leave what?"

"Oh, you know, this. Every Christmas Eve. It's getting a bit old."

"Old?" The Doctor asked, disappointed.

"Well, Christmas is for kids, isn't it? I've got some work with my dad now. I'm going to focus on that. Get that cloud belt under control." Kazran attempted to play nonchalant.

Even though I knew what was happening, I couldn't help but feel slightly offended. "Well, sorry."

"Not your fault. Times change."

"Not as much as I'd hoped," the Doctor looked to me for a second, before reaching out to give Kazran his broken screwdriver. "Kazran. I'll be needing a new one anyway, what the hell. Merry Christmas. And if you ever need us, just activate it. We'll hear you."

"I won't need you."

I had taken the time to internally make myself understand what he was going through, and that I would see him in just a few minutes again, but the Doctor looked heartbroken at those words. "What's happened? What are you not telling us? What about Abigail?"

Kazran already began walking away. "I know where to find her."

888

I stood a row over in the cave-basement by a random icebox, huddled with the Doctor and Dylan. Amy was being hologram-projected from the ship in order to act as The Ghost of Christmas Present to Kazran, who stopped by Abigail's icebox and explained what happened that last fateful night.

"This is what Nova and the Doctor did to me. Dylan never wanted to take out Abigail. Abigail was ill when she went into the ice, on the point of death. I suppose the rest in the ice helped her. But she's used up her time. All those Christmas Eves with me... I could release her any time I want, and she would live a single day. So tell me, Ghost of Christmas Present, how do I choose which day?"

"I'm sorry. I really am. I'm very, very sorry. But you know what? She's got more time left than I have. More than anyone on this ship," Amy retorted, as Rory widened the beam, and Kazran was projected onto the ship to see all the people he was going to let die.

"There's only one ghost left," I reminded the Doctor.

He nodded and walked to the TARDIS. "You both wait here, I'll get him really quick."

"Get who?" Dylan asked, after the Doctor left.

"Young Kazran. Did you not watch the episode?" I asked.

"Yeah, but I sort of watched them all at once after you told me, the night that you told me... so I don't remember it all that well." Dylan looked to the ground, embarrassed. "But I mean, I'm not that bad, I remember some parts perfectly."