Chapter 1- First encounter [Vikk]

I swing the pickaxe over my shoulder and grunt as the weight pulls me back. The dull black specks of coal in the rock face in front of me sits, as if it is sneering at how hopeless I am.

I've been mining for three hours now, and the only items ive managed to collect are some chunks of coal and a piece of iron.

My stone pickaxe is close to breaking. I can see thin spidery cracks lacing their way up the head.

I should go, but... I'm such a let down. I was sure this trip would be worth it, I could show the blue team that I can help them... but this is pathetic, in my opinion. I should have know the red island would be awful.

I turn to leave, sighing. My bag hangs low on my back.

And then I stop.

Because, standing with his back to me, is another boy. I glance at his wrist, and my heart starts to hammer in my chest. Red.

Slowly, I draw my sword, ready to defend myself. Robs words echo in my head.

"Remember, if you see a red, and you think you can take them, do it. You have to try. All reds are evil."

This boy doesn't look evil. He's tall, and blond. He's wearing a red hoodie, but leather armour from the waist down. I step closer.

He's fiddling with a rock, scraping at it. His sword hangs limply at his side.

I can do this. I can do this.

And then I stumble. With I cry, I fall on to my back. My sword flies out of my hand, and clatters to the floor nearby.

The boy turns, alarmed, and draws his sword. He slowly steps towards me, weapon pointed at my neck.

I take a breath, and shut my eyes, preparing for him to slice me open. But nothing happens.

I open my eyes and see him still standing there. He looks absolutely terrified.

"Who are you? And why are you here?" He says. I hold up my blue-banded arm.

"P,p,please, i'm sorry. I only came to mine, not to kill. Please spare me!" I beg for my life, and see his eyes narrow.

"How do I know you're not just going to kill me?"

"I was watching you for ages, just now. If I wanted to kill you, you'd be dead already."

His expression wavers, and I watch from the ground as he walks over to where my sword lies.

"I'll take this, for now, until I know I can trust you."

He picks it up, and I scramble to my feet.

"Oh my god, thank you. I owe you my life." I start to step towards him, but he holds out the sword.

"Stay back from me. We're still enemies. I just don't like killing people that... that can't defend themselves."

I take a step back, and apologise.

"I should go. I'm so sorry. I should-" In the light of a torch, I see a shadow, wavering. It's growing larger by the second. Instinctively I grab my pick and charge towards the shadowy creature. It is coming from behind the boy, he can't see it, but he can see me. He throws up his arms in surprise and fear, but I charge past him, swinging the pickaxe into the zombies head. It disintegrates before me, and I turn, facing the boy.

"y,you saved my life." He says, eyes wide.

"No time for that now. We have to go." I say, and grab his arm, pulling him towards the exit. Killing one zombie always attracts more. They'll be here soon. The boy nods, and hesitates, before throwing me my sword.

"Now, come on! This way is the quickest way out." The boy yells, and we run into a man-made tunnel. The light is diminishing quickly. We run, our feet scraping along the sides of the tunnel.

Soon, we reach a ladder.

"Okay, blue. This ladder opens out pretty near our base, and, I think if my team mates saw you, you'd be dead meat. So be careful."

I nod, and we begin to climb. I hear a groan from beneath me and watch as one, two, three zombies appear.

"Quickly! They're coming!"

We climb swiftly, upwards, gripping each rung like it's our lifeline. Which, I suppose, it is.

The daylight gets closer and closer. I can almost feel the sunlight on my face.

We reach the top, and climb out. I look around, amazed. We're standing in a flowery meadow, ringed by luscious dark trees. The grass was Eden-green and thigh-high.

I could smell the sweetness of cherry blossoms and the caramel soft scent of flowers in the air.

"This is incredible..." I say to the boy, who smiles, but then stops.

"Come on. We have to go." He grips my hand again, and we run through the grass. Reaching the tree line, we slow, wary of the darkness around us. Any number of monsters could be hiding there.

We exit out the other side, and their bridge comes into view.

I look at the boy, who is breathing fast. He looks at me.

"Thank you so much. But... we can't tell anyone this happened. Really." I tell him, and hold out my hand.

He shakes, and agrees.

"Before you go," He says. ", What's your name? I'm Lachlan."

I smile at him.

"My name is Vikk."

And then I take off onto the bridge, sword slapping against my side, leaving Lachlan standing at the edge of his island, alone.