Chapter 6- Tall grass [Lachlan]

A shout goes up from the treehouse.

"They're at spawn!"

I see all the reds running across the grass, and climbing the ladders up into the treehouse. I run to join them, and see Jay tackling a zombie at the edge of the forest. Quickly, I pull out my bow and fire two shots at the zombie, killing it.

Jay turns to me and grins, then climbs the ladder in front of me. I pull myself up, and spot what Pete was shouting about. On spawn island, there is a bright light flickering. Its so dark, and spawn so far away, we can barely see it. But it's definitely there.

"Ready for round two boys?" Landon yells, pulling on his armour.

I shout above the noise.

"But, what if it's a trap?"

Preston comes over.

"Bro, even if they did try to kill us there they're still outnumbered. I know where I cut that blue. Its nine versus seven. They've got less powerful weapons, and less armour. Come on, this'll be easy, Lachy."

Shrugging, a pick up my sword. The other guys are fully geared, ready to fight.

We all venture out past the forest, and get to the bridge.

Preston stands up on the bridge's side.

"Okay! So, these idiots don't know what they're in for. They've tried to lure us to them, so they can launch a surprise attack on us. But i've made a plan. While they expect us to go straight through the middle, we're gonna go round, and surprise attack them!" My group shout encouragement, and I force myself to join in.

When we arrive at spawn, Preston starts signalling to go right, so we sneak to the right and begin to creep past the houses and trees. We do this for another twenty minutes, before Preston yells;

"Oi, those little Fudgers. They're at their island, waiting for us! Lets go!"

And once more, we charge through spawn and onto their bridge. I hang back with Jerome and Landon, who are chatting about farming or something.

Landon looks very excited. This is his first proper battle, because when we jumped them at spawn the other day he was mining with Jay. He's by far the youngest of us all, but a pretty good fighter. I hope he does okay and doesn't get hurt at all in our battle.

We begin to slow down. Peering over everybody's heads, I see Preston reading a sign. We all crowd in closer, and he reads it out loud.

"For Nade."

We all slowly take steps onto their island, uneasy.

The tall grass surrounds us, making it impossible to see anything. We continue walking.

And then it starts. Jay cries out in pain and collapses to his knees. He's been shot in the leg with a arrow. I hear the sounds of a battle, and realise the blues have attacked us. Sounds whirl around me as I draw my sword. I hear the crunch of grass and clash my sword into a blue's. We spar, swinging our blades around. At one point, I find myself back to back with Jerome, who is fighting just as hard as I am with a brown-haired boy. I'm quickly tiring, but so are the blues, and i'm hoping that if I can just hold out for a few more seconds, we can win this.

And finally, just as the battle seems to be finishing, I hear the scream. The heart-wrenching sound hurtles around us, and I falter, for just a few seconds. The blue seizes his chance and leaps forward. I bring up my arm just in time to block the blow. The shock pounds down my arm, and I stagger backwards. Out of the corner of my eye, I see two of my team mates crouched in a clump of thick grass, and dive towards them, losing the Blue. Preston is huddled on the dirt, and i'm about to ask whats wrong when he looks up, tears in his eyes. I see the boy he's crouched over, and realise he's not hiding. He's dead.

"Preston! We have to get out of here. We've got no chance now. Lets go!"

I grab his arm and pull him to his feet. There are still the sounds of clashing swords all around us, but I see the bridge in the distance.

"RED! REGROUP AT BRIDGE! ABORT! RUN!" Preston yells, back to his usual self.

I see Jerome and Pete join us as we scamper towards our only hope. We reach a clearing in the grass, where Kenny and Choco are fighting two blues. Choco throws off his attacker, but Kenny is in trouble. The blue fighting him is beating him. I start to help him, but Pete is already there.

"Kenny!" He shouts, and charges at the blue, swinging his sword fast. The boy doesn't even have time to turn before Pete sends a chop from his sword straight into his stomach, cutting right through his blue stained armour.

Kenny's face goes white, but we grab him and run for the bridge, hearing the blues right behind us.

"Go go go!" Jerome shouts, and we leg it up their stairs, running for our lives.

I turn around to see the blues standing around their dead team mate. One of them looks up and points his sword at us, but we keep running until they're out of sight.

As we reach spawn, the only sounds we can hear are our own heavy breaths and a tiny shout, which echoes across the chasm.

"For Nade!"

*Authors note: Ooh, action! I'm not the best at writing fight scenes, but I hope you enjoyed reading this. Thanks to everyone who has read my book so far, I really appreciate it.                Also- Who do you think died?? I guess you'll have to find out by reading the next chapter!*