Chapter 3- Casualties [Vikk]

Spawn run. Yay. The guys got a ton of stuff when they were out hunting, so they want to sell it at spawn. That means three of us will venture off of our island and into the shared territory that is in between both bases, to trade with the villagers that live there for resources and materials.

Me, Nade and Rob have volunteered to deliver the loot, and bring back the trades, so we're all geared up, in case we encounter any reds. I shiver.

We reach the bridge, and clamber up the cobblestone steps. It reaches off into the distance, the end invisible.

"Ready, boys?" rob asks, and glances at me and Nade.

"Hell, yeah!" Nade shouts.

"You betcha." I reply, and we set off.

The roofs of spawn begin to come into view. They materialize from the fog in front of us, looking up out of nowhere.

"Okay boys. I'll check the coast is clear, then we run in and trade quickly, okay?"

We sneak into spawn, hiding round corners and snooping behind trees. Rob goes ahead, then waves us forward.

"Okay, Nade, you get food. I'll see I can get something from the Alchemist. Vikk, keep watch, please."

"Got it."

I sit on a hay bale, glancing around the square and watching as the two others haggle with the villagers. The air is thick, and damp. The sun is nowhere to be seen. I pull my knees up to my chest and hug them, trying to keep in warmth.

Deciding to go see how Rob was doing, I get up.

 I'm not sure what is is, really, that alerts me to their presence, but the hairs of the back of my neck begin to rise. I pull up my hood and turn. Almost immediately, I am knocked to the ground by a guy in red Armour. My head smashes into the cobble, and the world goes white. I hear shouting, fighting. 

Must... help them...

I think, and lift my head. Colours fade into the world, and I stand up, sword at the ready. I'm a little dizzy, but okay.

My friends, however, are not. Rob is holding off two guys, one with a red and orange bandanna, and one in a grey and black striped hoodie. Nade is trying his best to fight two more reds, but they are overpowering him. I run to try and help him, but duck as a sword swings towards me. I bring up my own as the attacker pushes me back, swinging and blocking and lunging.

I'm trying my best to fight him, but my head is ringing and my footwork is wobbly and soon, I feel my back against a wall. The red pushes his sword towards my neck. I sense the cold metal come into contact with my skin and gasp, squeezing my eyes shut. I feel my hoodie drop down to my shoulders, and then... what? The sword pulls away.

"Vikk?" I open my eyes, shocked. Lachlan's blue ones are filled with regret.

"vikk, you have to run. We've got backup coming. Please, you have to go."

I turn away, and leave him there, my insides dying, and look at the scene before me. Nade is bleeding, and on his knees, growing weaker and weaker by the second. The two reds are relentless.

I spot Rob fall, tumbling back on the cobblestone. The two reds charge, and I pull out my bow and fire two shots.

They both trip, and clutch their arms, temporarily disabled. I grab rob by the arm and haul him away, stumbling and tripping on the stones. Rob looks back.

"Nade..."

"We can't, Rob. They're too powerful. We can't save him." My eyes fill with tears as we run, arrows flying around us. Blood forms a trail behind us as we dash across our bridge.

I glance behind, to see our pursuers turn away. They don't want to have to mess with us on our territory.

We slow to a stop, and rob collapses onto the floor of the bridge. Blood begins to pool around him and I begin to feel the first touches of panic in my chest.

I run to him and crouch, looking for the wound. Its easy to find. That red has cut straight through his armour, leaving a large gash.

What do I do? What do I do?

And then I remember. Speedy and Sidearms should be waiting on the other side of the bridge. Surely they could help him?

I take off, dropping all of the extra items on the ground to help me run faster.

"SPEEDY! SIDE! HELP! RED AMBUSH, ROBS HURT!"

I yell as I near the end of the bridge. I see the pair turn in shock, and run up to me.

"Where is he?" Speedy asks, gripping my arm. I point a trembling hand towards spawn, and the two sprint away.

I feel myself trembling. My legs give out from under me and I collapse on the ground.

Curling up in a fetal position, I begin to cry.

Great racking sobs convulse my body as I lay there on the dirt. Please be okay, Rob. Please.

I lie there for what seems like hours. At some point, gentle hands lift me up, and carry me back to the lagoon, but I pay them no heed. How could he, my Lachlan, do this?

Eventually, the sky turns from blue to white to grey and then black as I pass out.