Chapter 16- Mining [Lachlan]

I survey the area, heart beating wildly. It's the same as when I last saw it, an open cave, dimly lit with torches. There's a large scratch mark on one wall. Tracing it with my fingers, I remember the utter terror I felt, seeing him charge at me. That I was completely hopeless against this person.

Then, when he ran past me, striking that zombie instead of me, I felt something different. That boy could have let me die. He could have just warned me. But no. He attacked something that was going to attack me because he cared.

It's frightening, to know he has such raw power, and yet, now I know he won't hurt me I feel drawn to him. He will protect me.

Right?

It's easy to see that our relationship is dangerous. We're doing the forbidden, fraternising with our sworn enemies. And both of us are loyal to our teams.

I shake my head. I shouldn't think about it. All it will do is eat me up from the inside.

I scan the walls of the cave, looking for any iron. We're stocking up for a battle. Up in our forges, Pete and Kenny create shining armour sets for us, Preston and Jerome pore over maps and diagrams. Down here, in the mines, I need to find more materials.

I swing my pickaxe over my shoulder, walking around the walls, stepping over tiny piles of discarded cobblestone.

Damn. Nothing.

Vikk seems to have cleared this entire area out when he visited, there's not even any coal left here. I'll have to find another cave soon, one that hasn't been touched.

Making my way up the ladder to the camp, I suddenly remember.

When I was in bed, that time.

When Preston came in.

Oh my god! How could I have forgotten? He kissed me.

Immediately anger starts to build up inside my chest. How dare he? How dare he?

And yet, at the same time, I know that, in some way, I enjoyed it.

But that doesn't matter, right? Most people like being kissed, and it doesn't mean I'm cheating... Anyway, it was Preston who did it. Not me.

But the feeling in my mind doesn't go away.

Am I betraying Vikk? 

*A/N: Okay, sorry this one was short, it's mainly just a filler chapter. Look forward to some exciting stuff real soon though, guys ;)*