Chapter 9- Regrets [Lachlan]

I awake to the sounds swords clashing. I've always been a light sleeper.

Immediately I grab my sword, ready to fight, but the camp seems pretty calm. I consider waking the rest of the team, but decide against it.

Following the sounds of the fight, I cross through the forest, and reach the grassy plains on the other side. The clashing sounds continue to resound through the night, sending shivers down my spine. Reaching the tree line, I take a look over the hill and into the valley below.

Two guys are fighting, one red and one blue. I'm about to run over and help, but then I see a blur of movement to my right. My breath catches in my throat as I see vikk, leaning out from behind a tree. Why isn't he going over to help the blue? I take a look again, a frown forming on my face as I see the two guys talking, and no longer fighting. Weird.

Vikk's just watching, and I consider going up to him. Would he yell? It's so dark, and in my red armour he might think i'm an enemy.

I creep back into the trees, trying to decide how to approach him. He soon starts to step back, right towards me. His sword is sheathed, so I should be okay. He retreats into the shadows, and I quickly move, one hand clamping over his face, and one round his waist. He immediately stiffens, hand going for his sword, but I hold him back.

"Hey, it's me..." I whisper. His body relaxes, and I pull away the hand on his mouth. He splutters and turns, still pressed against me.

"Why'd you do that?" He says, smiling.

"I didn't want you to attack me, seeing as I'm in full red gear."

He sinks to the ground.

I sit beside him.

"I'm so, so sorry." He mumbles.

"Why, Vikky?"

He sighs.

"For being a blue. For being here. For... for killing Landon. I did that. And.. oh my god."

He starts to cry, sobbing into my chest. I pull him closer, almost in tears myself.

"It's okay, Vikk. It's not your fault we're here. It's not your fault we've been forced to fight."

He sniffs, and looks up. "Thanks, Lachlan."

The sun begins to peak over the horizon, filling the forest with a pink glow.

Vikk leans on my shoulder, and I take his hand.

"I love you."

"...I love you too."

We sit like that for a bit, but eventually Vikk has to go. The sun is almost fully up in to the sky by now.

"I'll walk you to spawn?"

He smiles, and we stand up. "I think it'll be quicker to go through our camp, if you want. We have to be careful though."

We exit the treeline, opening out on to the camp, and slowly make our way through the grass to the other side.

We're almost to the bridge when I hear a twig snap. We both freeze, and look round. Preston appears from behind a tree, looking the other way. We don't have time to move before he looks around, and sees both Vikk and I.

I'm about to open my mouth, to try and explain, when his eyes widen.

"Lachlan, look out! Behind you!" Before I can react, he rushes past me, and slams a fist into Vikk's head. The smaller boy flies through the air and lands with a thump on the ground. Preston is moving towards him, sword drawn.

"Preston, wait!" I cry, and run forward.

"Why should I? He's a blue, he was going to kill you!" He says, his eyes narrowing.

I rack my brain for a reason not kill him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see vikk groan. Blood is seeping from his nose.

"Because... because we could hold him hostage. We'd have a massive advantage over the blues that way."

Preston, smiles, and sheaths his sword.

"I like your thinking, Lachy. Okay, you pick him up, we'll make a cell."

Slowly, I make my way over to Vikk. His eyes are closed, and blood is pouring down his face. I gently lift him onto my shoulder, trudging after Preston.

Oh my god, Vikk. I'm so, so, sorry.

There's nothing I can do but follow, as I carry the boy that I just kissed to his doom.