Chapter 20-Sunrise [Lachlan]

My heart is pounding like a drum. It's been like this since I woke up today, at four o'clock in the morning. The camp is shrouded in darkness; early morning mist coils its way around our buildings, snaking its way through the trees.

I take a few steps forward, through the dew-covered grass. One hour until sunrise. It's been just over a day since I last saw vikk. It hurts to think of him. I tell myself that he rejected me, that he hates me. But I know that's not true.

He's scared, just like me, just like everyone in this damn place. And he doesn't want to put me in danger by talking to me. So he cut it off.

It's reasonable, from anyone else's perspective. But for me...

I don't know what to think.

"Lachlan! Here!"

I look up. Pete shouts from the porch of his house, and throws me a sword. Iron, still shining, even in the darkness. I look at it. Its different to anything I've ever seen, really. It's got this sheen around it; this glow of pink and blue that shifts and glows.

I look up at Pete questioningly.

"Its enchanted. Don't ask me how, 'cause I have no idea."

He leaps down from the porch, Iron armour clinking slightly as he lands.

"Know where Kenny is?"

"Down at the lake, with Jerome and Preston. They're just practising, waiting for us."

He nods and starts to walk off in the direction of the lake. I quickly scamper after him, helmet slipping over my eyes slightly.

The three others are practise-fighting on the far side of the lake, if you could call it that. We dug a hole and filled it with water, so we could easily feed our crops.

Its just a pond, really.

As we draw nearer, Pete starts to run forward, sliding across the wet earth, right in front of Preston. He blocks Preston's blow that was aimed for Kenny and starts to spar with him, hopping around like a swamp slime as he blocks and parries and strikes. Kenny stands back, grinning, before running in and taking Preston's place, to play fight with Pete. Jerome is shooting arrows against a tree, practising his aim.

I watch as Pete and Kenny twirl around the area, more like dancing than fighting. Eventually, they slow down, their sword blows becoming weaker and weaker. When they finally stop, I watch as Pete pulls Kenny closer and leans down to kiss him.

I turn away, not wanting to invade their privacy.

I wish Vikk and I could do that, without, you know, being killed.

Except... of course, Vikk wouldn't want to kiss me any more.

I shake my head, turning around to see everyone converging near a tree.

"Okay, boys," I hear Preston say. "has everyone got everything they need?"

There are murmurs and nods of agreement.

"Okay, then. You all know the plan. Stay in the centre of spawn until the blues come. There's four of them, and five of us. We can take them down easy-peasy."

He glances at the sky. It's no longer pitch black, but a dark blue colour. Sunrise is approaching.

Everybody is suddenly tense; the calm, joking atmosphere from before is gone, replaced by a strange, silent determination.

Preston gives us all a grim nod. This is our signal. The battle is beginning already.

We trudge through the trees, swords held out at the ready.