Chapter 15- Warzone [Vikk]

I bury my face in my hands. I'm sitting curled up in a corner, at the top floor of the Cabana, while Mat talks to rob. Our numbers are getting dangerously low; there's only four of us left. We're getting weaker, and at this rate there's only a very small chance we can win. The reds have five people left; Lachlan, Preston, Kenny, Kenny's friend, and Jerome, who is Mitch's boyfriend.

I don't know if the reds are planning anything, but Rob and Mat say the only way we have a chance of defeating them is to not go into combat head-on, and use traps and ambushes to get them.

I don't want any part of it, really. Losing Brayden was too much.

I know that I want to see Lachlan, but it's a bad idea. Last time I visited the red side... well it certainly didn't go the way I'd planned it. But perhaps if I was more careful this time...

Part of me hopes Lachlan will come visit us again. But I know he wouldn't. This late in the war, when a final battle is inevitable, going over to the opposite side is suicide.

And yet I must.

I gather up my gear, silently tiptoeing from chest to chest. We've all got full iron now, but I choose my leather pieces, hoping they will help me camouflage more. The sun is just setting, so I should be able to make it back to camp by sunrise.

The other three are right downstairs. I'll have to leave through another route. I pull down on my leather helmet and creep over to the tower, balancing on the fences surrounding it. Then, I jump off, landing in a crouch on our wall, and climbing down easily.

Phew. That could have been disastrous.

Its all very familiar; this creeping-away-from-camp-in-the-dark business. Hopefully i'll make it back safely, this time. I reach the grassy area beyond the camp, and look back.

Nobody seems to have noticed I'm gone. Breathing a sigh of relief, I turn away.

"Ah!" I yell in surprise. "Rob! You scared... the life out of me..."

He smiles tightly. Then he stops.

"Vikk. What the hell were you doing?"

"um. I couldn't stop thinking about Brayden and I wanted to clear my head."

his eyes narrow. He doesn't believe me.

"You know how dangerous it can be out here. Never go out alone, okay vikk? Never."

"Sorry, Rob."

He takes my arm and pulls me back to the Cabana.

Mat and Mitch are nowhere to be seen. We sit down at the main table.

"Vikk. I know something's going on. And maybe it's not my place to ask. But you have to stay safe, okay? I would never be able to forgive myself if you got hurt."

"Nothing's going on Rob, and I promise i'll look after myself. Sorry."

I look down, and rob seems satisfied with the answer.

"You should get some sleep." he says to me. I nod. "I'll be upstairs if you need me."

Then he gets up and walks towards our spiral staircase. I'm about to get up and go to bed, when he turns around.

"It's a red, isn't it? You've made friends with a red. I don't have proof, but, vikk, I'd be careful where you step. We're at war. And it's high time you realised that."

Then he climbs the rest of the staircase and disappears. 

*A/N: Oooh, new cover! Tell me if you like it!*