Chapter 22- The Truth [Vikk]

There is a sudden blinding flash followed by a muffled roar, as the final bomb blows up behind Mitch.

He flies through the air towards us, landing in a heap on the ground. There is a rush of heat from behind him.

"Oh my god. Mat left one."

Rob says, looking at Mitch, who lies still on the cobblestones before us. I kneel down, staring to panic, and check his chest.

"He's breathing."

But the colour is slowly draining from his face. He doesn't have long. We can't get him back to the camp to heal him. But I can't let him die.

I glance at Rob, who is still standing, sword held out, ready to defend us.

There's really only one thing I can do.

I scoop up Mitch's limp body and stand up, running through the square. I hear Rob shout behind me, but I carry on running.

Dodging between the houses, I feel Mitch's heartbeat thumping. Slowly.

I arrive at the red bridge. In the distance I can see three figures.

"Vikk! What are you doing?"

I hear Rob call behind me. I dash towards the figures, ignoring him.

I can make them out from here. Jerome has already spotted me and is running towards us. Preston has a bow out.

Please don't shoot. Please don't shoot.

Its almost as if Lachlan can hear me. I watch as he knocks the bow out of Preston's hands and begins to run after Jerome.

My eyes are starting to water. Mitch is heavy. I slow down, glancing back to Rob, who is at the start of the bridge.

"Mitch!" I hear Jerome shout, sprinting to us. We meet in the middle, with Lachlan a little way behind.

As Jerome reaches me, I lay Mitch down on the cobblestone. Jerome glares at me, before reaching down to Mitch.

"What happened to him?"

"There was a.... bomb... it... hadn't gone off... he..." I breath, catching my breath. Jerome starts to mutter, trying to help Mitch. Lachlan reaches us and brings me up in a hug.

I bury my face in his chest, gripping the material under his chest plate.

"I'm so sorry..." I mumble. He brings me closer, hands around my waist.

"Its okay, love. Its okay."

We stand like that for a while, locked in embrace.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Lachlan is ripped away from me. Preston has him by the collar. I reach out, going to help him, but somebody grabs me round the neck and pulls me back.

"No!"

Rob holds my neck and torso, keeping me away from Lachlan.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He growls into my ear, dragging me away.

I try to struggle, but he's too strong. "No, rob! Mmff!"

Lachlan is in a similar position. Preston is holding him by the collar, talking to him, but I can't hear what he's saying.

I look over to Jerome, but he's preoccupied with Mitch. He's bandaged his shoulder, but he's still not waking up.

The two boys drag us apart from each other.

"How long?" Rob snarls at me.

"I need- you can't-" He cuts me off and slaps me. I fall back against the bridge as rob towers over me.

"I can't believe you. Dirty red scum!"

I try to get up but he kicks me. I curl up into a ball against the side of the bridge, as rob fumes in front of me. There's nothing I can do. Out of the corner of my eye I see Preston hit Lachlan, and its all I can do not to try and run to him right there and then.

"What have you done, vikk? Can you see this?" he points to Mitch, lying on the ground. "You killed us. We may not be dead yet, but we will be."

"Rob! Please, let me explain."

He glares at me, turns around.

"Stay here, vikk. I'll deal with you later."

I cower on the floor as he marches away. Preston has left Lachlan crumpled on the floor behind him and is walking towards the centre of the bridge too.

Their swords are drawn.

"No! Rob, please, stop." I call out, stumbling to my feet.

He doesn't turn, just carries on walking towards Preston.

I have to stop them. This is it. No more fighting.

I watch as the two of them meet in the middle. They both hold up their swords, say something each.

I start to limp towards them, but I can't stop them. They start to fight, equally matched for each other, swinging and parrying and blocking.

Preston draws blood first, but Rob soon follows. They each trade blows, a cut on one arm each.

And then Jerome cries out. Its such a simple sound, but the amount of pain in his voice makes them both freeze.

"No! Mitch, no! Please don't."

Rob is stock still, face ashen. And Preston takes his chance.

One swipe, that's all it takes.

He slashes his sword across Rob's chest. For a moment, he doesn't move. He stands there, as if nothing had happened. But then he falls, collapses on the ground.

"No!"

I reach his body. He's still breathing, but barely.

I look up at Preston, who is smiling grimly.

"Hi, blue. You're the last one now, do you realise?"

My whimpers mix with the sobs of Jerome.

"Please..." I choke out.

He holds out his sword, covered in blood.

"You are a fool." He says, walking closer.

So this is it then. I bring up an image of Lachlan in my head. His kind eyes, that sweet smile. This is how I will die. With dignity, and with Lachlan.

There have been so many times that I have been saved from a sword blow. So many times that other people have saved me. But this time, I'm alone. Mitch is dead, rob is dying, Lachlan is on the other side of the bridge.

I have no sword, no weapon at all.

This is it.