theoldPoet

born in 1935. i guess you can figure my age from that. i was married for over 50 years to the same wonderful woman who i lost 5 years ago. she was the love of my life and i miss her like crazy, but i have a heart full of memories that will never let her go.

i have 2 middle aged children. a man and a woman. to call them a boy and girl just sounds wrong, but i guess they will always be my kids. the only problem is i wish they could have settled on one person in their lives. 5 marriages between the two of them.

oh well. kids, what can you do with them.

i had a bit of a cancer scare a few years back, but the doctor tells me that i am ok now. and he even lets me have a couple drinks each day, as long as i don't go overboard with it. i told him i don't even have a boat.

i know, its a bad joke, but what do you expect from an old man.

i come from a large family. 10 brothers and sisters. my dad died when i was 17, so myself and some of my other brothers had to look after things.

most of my family is gone now. i have 2 brothers and a sister left. we are all getting up there in age.

i used to paint when i was younger, but i haven't done it in years. my kids kept trying to get me to start again, but it is a mood thing. i still like to sketch a bit, but my eyes aren't the best so it tends to be a little irritating at times.

i used to make my own homemade beer. everyone loved it. i made lemon beer and orange beer and even apple beer. i made over 20,000 bottles over the years. i still make some wine from time to time but i don't do the beer anymore.

i have played the guitar since i was a teenager and for almost 40 years i played in bands in and around my home town. i also play a little bass and some mandolin. i never bothered much with the bass until my son started playing and then i just fell into it.

not that any of you out there would know the names, but i did play with some pretty popular local musicians and singers like Dick Nolan, Roy Payne and Rufus Guinchard.

but some of my favourite times was when i played with my son. he doesn't live here anymore so i only get to play with him when he comes to see me, which is never enough.

he thinks i am a great player but he has a unique way of playing that i just love.

i am an old country fan and i am a huge fan of the late Hank Snow. but i must say that i do like a lot of the music from the 1970s. even some of the stuff my kids used to listen too. especially bands like the Eagles and another band that i don't remember other than the daredevils. and of course some of Bob Dylan's stuff especially the Pat Garret and Billy the Kid record.

there are lots of others but my memory is not what it was once.

i haven't travelled much. was to florida once and montreal and cold lake in alberta. my kids are in Nova Scotia and Alberta so i don't see them much. well my daughter i see much more than my son.

i had not written anything since my wife died. i used to write her some special cards for celebrations, but not much since then. i used to take credit for some of my son's poems years ago, when he was first getting published. i thought it might piss him off a bit but he just went along with me.

it was my son who got me on here. he's been trying for a couple years but i wasn't interested. i am not really the writer in the family.

but i must say it has been interesting and i have met some wonderful people on here who have been very kind to me.

respect to the elders i guess.

well i guess that was 10 things. so thank you for taking a minute to read this, when you do.