Chapter 6 - Excusing Excuses

I was the first one to reach the hotel. George wanted to meet both AURA and Panache over lunch so that we could discuss future prospects with regard to business. Although Mr. Arora was supposed to accompany me for the lunch but he got stuck with something else and so I was there with my PA Shahid. I was a little early though so had to wait for everyone else, when I got a call from an unknown number.

"We are really sorry Mam...I know it was a pathetic mistake on our part but please I beg you Mam..please don't sue us.. it was a new editor who got it printed without my consultation..I am extremely sorry for all the mess...please Mam we will put up an apology in the front page but please don't sue us", the voice on the other side huffed and panted and cracked incoherently.

I knew what this was regarding and I made my move as well, "May I know who am I talking to?"

"I am sorry Mam I am Puneet Bansal chief editor, The Nightlife Times", he introduced himself briefly and got back to pleading and begging.

It was a bit confusing though. Newspapers and Tabloids are entitled to print rubbish about people but hardly any of them attempt to fix it. His cranky voice was getting unbearable now, Mr. Bansal conveniently shifted the call to the so called reporter who made the nonsensical article and that poor guy was on the verge of crying. He was certainly new and inexperienced and to save myself from further torture I gave him a stern piece of mind and cut the call.

"Shahid did you speak to the tabloid people again", I asked Shahid who was sitting beside me and had happily buried himself in his phone.

"No Mam you only said that you will deal with it so I didn't speak to them", Shahid replied adjusting his glasses over his nose.

Basically I knew who it could have been and now with Shahid's confirmation there was no doubt left. It had to be Manik and his innovative ways of getting things done. I was fiddling with my phone when I finally saw Manik and Mukti make their appearance. Manik looked polished and suave while Mukti seemed overtly cheerful about something.

"Nandiniii", Mukti rushed to me before Manik and engulfed me into a bear hug while I sat. Although Mukti and me had become thicker friends with time but I had never seen this excited at least around me. Manik waited for our friendly hug to be over and when we didn't he rolled his eyes and grabbed a seat for him. I looked at his forehead to see his wound, the swelling was not there and the cut had dried a bit.

Mukti left me after 2 minutes and I stood up to greet her properly, "What is the matter Mukti?? Why are you so excited??", I could read the evident glee on her face, a somewhat girly glee which was so not Mukti.

"You won't believe what happened yesterday"

"What??", I was curiously happy for her being sure that it was some good news.

"Harshad proposed me...yes...yes..yes..he finally did...after three years of illogical on and off dating he finally knew that he wants me in his life permanently", Mukti blushed and beamed while sharing her joy.

Manik's expressions said nothing except for a wry look at the mention of Harshad. He had never liked the guy, all the way he had tolerated him because Harshad's sister Soha was his close friend and now because he was Mukti's beau and I upon that I gave him more reasons to dislike him. For me Harshad was always a well wisher who eventually became a dear friend too. When I was struggling in my professional life he was the one got me to Panache. He had always favored me going out of AURA and working on my own, he always saw that potential in me much to Manik's disapproval.

I saw Manik mutter abuses under his breath. Now Harshad was going to be a permanent member in his friends circle and that bothered him quite a lot. I got back my attention to the excited Mukti.