Chapter 10 - Bon Voyage

At Panache in Mr. Arora's cabin

What is he doing in my office? was the first thought that popped in my head when I saw him with my boss. Was he again up to something? He had apologized the last night but it seems he didn't mean a word of it as he was there to create more problems for me. I tried to study his body language minutely and after living with him all these years that seemed like ages I knew him inside out.

Manik was literally breathing fire and the reason was obvious. One look at him and I knew he was ready to rip Steve into pieces. His annoyance laid with Steve's hand on me but the extreme stiffness on his face was alien to me, this was definitely not the regular jealous Manik, there was more to it but right now I couldn't care more. After the level that he had stooped to I wasn't interested in deciphering the complexities of his mood. I passed equally tough looks as he was doing in fact to add salt to his wounds I gave a wide smile looking at Steve.

"Mr. Ge..Ge...George...wel...welcome", my boss made his presence felt in a defenseless tone. He had lost his confidence in talking fluently after being thrashed by him the day before. Steve ignored his greeting and smiled at Manik instead.

"Oh hello Mr. Malhotra... I wasn't expecting you here", Steve greeted Manik with a dash of surprise.

"Neither was I", Manik replied with forced or rather a constipated smile, "What exactly are you two doing together?", his eyes being stalled at Steve's hand on my waist. I exactly knew what effect it had on Manik to see his territory being trespassed.

"Oh yeah Nandini surprised me too when she paid me a visit in the hotel this morning", Steve replied moving his hand from my waist to my shoulder and giving me a light side hug.

"Okay so you went to the hotel as well..", Manik's nostrils flared and his nerves popped on his forehead at every piece of virtual bomb shell sort of information that he was getting. He was visibly annoyed and I could sense he wanted to break Steve's limbs at any given opportunity. I ignored his looks and focused on Mr. Arora who seemed a little lost all together.

"Ammm Sir Mr. George wants to...", I spoke to my boss but Steve cut me in between.

"Ahh come on Nandini how many times I have told you call me Steve...Mr George sounds so old and boring", he nudged me to be more comfortable with him. Honestly I wasn't really enjoying this frankness of his but seeing Manik boil gave me more satisfaction.

"Steve my foot...bloody old hag", Manik muttered slowly under his breath fisting the paper weight tighter.

"Sorry did you say something?", Mr Arora asked Manik as he saw him mumble something to himself.

"No nothing absolutely nothing..you guys carry on", Manik shrugged and moved back a little.

"Amm Sir actually... Steve", I smiled a little at him, "...wanted to discuss a few things with you regarding the project"

"Yes Mr. Arora honestly after yesterday's conduct I had made up my mind against you guys but today when Nandini came to meet me I decided otherwise...to err is human and at some points we all have committed glitches", Steve sounded pedantic and for some reason Manik fumed more as if he wanted to strangulate him before words could come out of his mouth but controlled himself and Steve continued, "So when Nandini requested for a second chance I couldn't deny...I must say you have found one gem of an employee in Nandini", Steve gave me an encouraging pat on my back and Mr. Arora looked a little embarrassed to meet my eyes remembering the sort of allegations he had badgered me with, definitely by now if he had any doubts regarding my sincerity and commitment towards my job then that was nullified. Manik certainly looked displeased at the recent developments.