Chapter 19 - Lifeline Lost...

We had an instructor to help set the choreography and with the steps as well. It seemed nothing less than film shoot with all the trademark latkas and jhatkas. It was funny to see Mukti of all people trying them and failing miserably, Navya on the other hand was more comfortable and quicker in grasping the techniques. Well I was also forced to join them but no sooner I faked a sprain in my ankle they let me sit back and rest. I was in no mood to dance, all my focus was on Manik and Manik only. I shouldn't have had behaved the way I did. I was unmindfully playing with the sipper in my hand and Mukti noticed me. She took a break and came to me.

"What is the matter Nandini? Is anything wrong? Are you still upset with what happened in the dining hall?", she thumped on the chair in front of me.

"No no nothing of that sort..I am okay", I replied wryly

"Okay then it has to be MANIK", she concluded with an air of conviction.

"No Mukti..there is nothing wrong with Manik", I again attempted to cover up

"Then what is the problem Nandini..Why can't you guys be together if there is no problem?..every damn person on this ship can see how madly and crazily you guys love each other except for you two fools...fine I understand certain things went wrong in the past one after another..you guys couldn't manage and fell apart..it happens...happens in every relationship no matter how strong is it but when there is an opportunity to sort things out why can't you guys just take initiative...I mean I don't think you are a fool to not understand why I put both of you in a single room..we both know the reason", she held on for a bit while I listened to her with my head held down, "Nandini why do you think you did what you did in the party last night...yeah it was funny for the rest of us but you know in that absolutely defenseless state, your insecurities and weaknesses were talking...the you that you had guarded for so long was talking...I agree Manik is difficult almost impossible for any of us but you make him possible, make him sane..now why I am saying this to you is because I think..think you are more sensible of the two..I have always looked up to you guys like my ideal relationship goals and it breaks my heart to see you guys like this and more so because of that innocent little kid..do you have any idea how much she longs to be with both of yo...", Mukti was still in between of what she was saying when I suddenly remembered something and stood up.

I looked at my watch it was quarter past 1, "It's time for Manini's lunch..I will just go look for her", I pursed my lips sheepishly. Though it wasn't an excuse but at the given moment looked like one. Mukti nodded and I left. Mukti was right in whatever she said, I was just being plain difficult but I guess being Manik Malhotra's wife had its share of magic wandering over my head. Well for the time being the more difficult proposition was looking for Manini. I was sure she would be annoyed as I left in the middle of the game but then again she was with her Daddy so I had less to worry.

But where could they be at this hour, may be the room, Daddy and daughter might be enjoying cartoons together. I went straight to our room but there was no one there, I came out and asked the staff but no one knew about them so I went ahead looking for them in the lobby then to the pool side area. I called Manik but he didn't respond. Idiot he was, fine I was a little rude to him but does that mean he wouldn't answer my calls. I went around asking others, one of Harshad's cousins said that he was on the upper deck. I quickly moved towards that direction and thankfully saw Manik and Cabir already approaching.

"How immature of you Manik? Why didn't you take my calls?", I charged at him directly appearing in front of him. He was a little startled to see me out of nowhere as he was engrossed in his discussion with Cabir.

"What? What happened?", he asked being already irritated.

"Get Manini..its her time for lunch", I tried not looking at him instead looked at Cabir who was already weary of our silly tiffs.