Chapter 26 - Engulfing Fears

I treaded back through the corridors with Cabir's words ringing in my ears.

Don't say anything to Manik..please dont

In was just till half an hour before that I was beaming with happiness to have Manik back in my life and now it was just question marks all around. I don't know if there was really something to worry about but the feel was kind of irking me all over. Thankfully the call that Cabir got was not from Rewa but someone from AURA's purchase department. There was an issue with the fabric supplies, the orders were withheld by the suppliers due to non payment.

Cabir decided to immediately leave for India to look into the matter. He had strictly asked me not to tell Manik anything as of now and he had the reasons as well. Firstly Manik would leave Mukti's wedding without another thought and that might just hurt her and spoil the most beautiful occasion of her life and secondly Manik's temper. Although we weren't sure but somehow both Cabir and me doubted Rewa's involvement in this and Cabir wanted to deal the things in his own calm way. Manik's display of temper had given an idea to him that if Manik came to know about it he would probably make it worse.

Cabir had assured me not to worry and that he would keep me in loop regarding the matter but how I could possibly stop these things to affect me. I was scared really really scared, strange thoughts clubbed my mind. I walked ahead cluelessly when I felt a strong pull on my arms.

"Where were you Nandini?...its been over half an hour I am looking for you...you are not even answering my calls and where is your phone?", he asked curiously looking at my empty hands, "Nandu I told you na to be around me all the time...do you have any idea what all tortures did I have to go through...firstly your daughter pulled me to the dance floor and then the king size aunties there were serious threat to my sanctity", he nagged in a over dramatic tone.

He went on and on with his list of complaints that how difficult it was for him to cope without me. Manik was never an overtly social person when it came to family functions, he used to stick by my side whenever I forced him to join family gatherings or events from my side. He was kind of allergic to the distant relatives who would pour in care and concerns and most of the time fake affection on us without a reason.

Manik sulked like a bullied kid and I gaped at his face. This very man nagging in front of me adorably had single handedly fought through so many crisis and that too alone. I had done just nothing but add to his miseries. I hated myself for all the allegations I had put on him, for all the accusations I had charged him with. It must have been so difficult for him to deal with everything alone, to handle business, family and most importantly me. How could I ever forgive myself for treating him so badly? I could feel tears brewing and without another moment I threw myself into his arms.

Manik stumbled a little on my sudden movement and I pushed myself into his chest with my hands grabbing the back of this garment. I was in so much need of his warmth, his fragrance, his consolation. I so wanted to lose myself in that moment. He didn't move and just let me hold him for as long as I wanted and slowly I felt his arms wrap me in his affection. No shield on earth could provide the sense of security that his arms could.

"Nandu I promise I didn't dance with anyone...I just ran away when Harshad's cousins tried to flirt...I swear", he confessed softly into my ears while his hands brushed my head and back comfortingly. He thought I was insecure about him being with other girls. How could I explain that I trust him more than myself? The more he consoled the more I wanted to push through him. I was trying to be as quiet as possible but the subtle movement of my shoulders told him that I was crying.

"Nandu...are you crying?? What happened?? Nandu look at me", he tried to separate but I didn't let him. I nodded my head in a no on his chest and sniffled.