Chapter 13 - Diminishing Differences

I tried to feel the bind around my waist but I didn't, there was nothing that was holding me tight and close, there was nothing that was stopping me from separating from him. I opened my eyes feeling the unease and was somewhat disappointed to not see Manik by my side. I had almost expected him to be snuggling by my back; I was secretly hoping him to have sneaked onto the bed at night. I don't know why I had had a feeling somewhere in the middle of the night that he was close to me, I felt his warmth and touch on me but yeah now I know there was nothing of that sort of just a stupid imagination. He wasn't there on the bed and for a matter of fact in the room too as I found the couch empty. I removed the blanket to get down and found Manini, she had half climbed on me and her head was close to my heart. My heart could listen to my heartbeat. I pulled her on top of me and kissed her head.

"Kaddu...baby...good morning", I ruffled her hair adorably. I was a little harsh on her last night. I was hoping she wouldn't remember it because if she did I would have a hard time to turn her around. She stirred a little and rubbed her nose on my chest and I knew she still had a lot of sleep left. I turned her a little and made her lay comfortably beside me; as such we had slept late so I didn't disturb her.

***

After freshening up a little I came out on the deck. It was just 7 so most of them were still under the blankets enjoying their holidays. I found Manik taking jogs around the deck and the moment his eyes fell on me he winked with a crooked smile and continued doing what he was. Uff!! This guy he was again in his shorts but given that he was working out it seemed okay. I suddenly felt like a jealous husband who doesn't like his wife in skimpy clothes. I was almost lost in my thoughts when I heard someone clearing his throat to grab my attention. I turned around to find Mitin.

"Hi!! Good Morning...ammm I am sorry about last night...I really didn't intend to bother you...I am really really sorry if I hurt you in anyways because I never intended to", he apologized genuinely.

I looked at him for a while contemplating on my response and then relaxed a bit, "Its okay...I am glad that you realized..amm so your are Harshad's cousin", I tried to get into discussing better things.

"Yeah our Dad's are siblings...I am a pediatrician by profession...I practice in Melbourne and this was just a perfect occasion to be in India", he did have an accent that I had ignored earlier.

"Oh that's good..I and Harshad have been friends for a few years now and Mukti is a dear friend...my husband Manik and she are business partners", I informed him the few things that he ought to know.

I glanced at Manik, his pace had slowed down and the smile on his face was over written with frowns. He stopped and came towards us dabbing his sweaty face.

"Any problem?", he asked giving a stern look at Mitin.

I couldn't let it get nasty with Harshad's guests that too this early in the morning hence I quickly intervened, "Amm Manik this is Mitin...Harshad's cousin from Melbourne"

"So??", he gave a sarcastic pause and Mitin could read Manik's offensive body language, "Amm..I mean good to meet to...this is my wife Nandini...I hope you know that", he pulled me by his side into his wet form disregarding my mild protests. Of course he had to show that I was already claimed and owned. Mitin pursed his lips and blurted a few formal talks and bid an unwilling bye and walked off.

"Manik ewww let go off me...you are all sweaty", I pushed him apart from me and rubbed his sweat off my hands making a disgusted face.

He ignored my repulsion and rather asked, "What was he saying? Was he troubling you again?"