Chapter 2 - He Fights To Find His Way

A/N: Dedicating this chapter to the lovely Hayley (1Dreamteam) because she's perfect and her stories are amazing so like yeah. All that good crap.

“Louis!” Louis’ head shot over to where his name was being called to find a disgruntled Liam storming towards him down the sidewalk. Louis was making his way to the library but apparently his trip was going to be cut short. “What has your boxers in a twist?” He raised an eyebrow as Liam huffed, crossing his arms over his chest “You get beaten up by Mikey and don’t even care to tell me?!”

He let out a sigh and shook his head, brushing his fingers through his hair slowly. “It was nothing, Li, honestly. Harry stopped him before it could get any worse. I only ended up with a bloody nose and busted lip. Hell, that’s nothing compared to some of the beatings.” Louis chuckled but Liam was still not pleased, letting out a whine like a little child who just had a tell off from his parents. “You’re my best friend, Louis. I want to know when this happens. I get worried about you. ”

Louis pouted out his bottom lip and slung his arms around the neck of his slightly taller best friend. “You know I love you.”

Liam glanced down at the pouty-faced boy but shook his head, turning his head to face the other way “Nope. Not the pout.” Louis puckered his lip out more and Liam finally gave in with a sigh. “I guess I love you too.”

“Want to go get pizza?” Louis suggested with a bright smile after planting a wet one on his cheek.

“Actually, I need to talk to you," Liam said slowly while wiping his wet cheek with the back of his hand.

Louis didn’t care for Liam’s serious tone, this was definitely important. “Oh, well yeah. Sure. Lets talk at the park.” Louis wasn’t looking forward to whatever this talk was about, Liam was just a laid-back, funny, fatherly figure sort of guy and he knew by the tone of his voice, it probably wasn’t going to be a walk in a field of roses. Was he dying? Cancer? Parents getting divorced? All sorts of horrible possibilities ran through his head whenever he snapped out of it to realize they had arrived at the park.

They took a seat together at a picnic table, both on opposite sides of the table and Louis slowly chipped the cheap paint away with his thumb nail. “So, what is it you need to talk to me about?” He asked nervously.

“I’m . . . well I’m . . . I just . . .”

“Will you spit it out?!”

“I’m moving.”

Louis let his eyes travel away from his friend and suddenly his TOMS were the most interesting thing in the world. He just wanted to act like that wasn’t happening, and that it wouldn’t. But it would and he knew it. “W-when?” He tried to hide the sadness but it was clear through his voice.

“Next week, the day spring break starts. I knew I had to tell you sooner or later, and I didn’t want to break it to you the day I’m leaving. Are you alright?” Liam placed his hand on the top of Louis’ and rubbed his thumb slowly over the top. “I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner. But my dad was offered a great job offer and he couldn’t turn it down.”

Louis felt absolutely crushed by this news. Who would he turn to now whenever he had problems? Or just wanted to hang out with? Liam was his rock, other than his mum of course, but he was also his only real friend. Whenever Liam left, he would be alone to drown in his own thoughts without Liam being his life jacket.

He couldn’t answer, he just couldn’t trust his voice then and there. He’d become a blubbering mess and that was one thing he absolutely hated, crying in front of other people. His nose and eyes get red, eyes get puffy and he sputters his words. And it made him feel small and weak.