Chapter 24 - Even The Sun Sets In Paradise

A/N: Exactly (okay, a little bit over) 2,000 words of I don't even know what. Massive thank you to the readers of this book who have granted me with over 51,000 reads and 1,770 votes. Also, a thank you to my 500 followers who put up with my crap in their feed. I love you all, my little lovelies.

The feeling of being watched taunted Louis endlessly as he walked through the crowded halls of Greenwood Academy, alone. He kept looking over his shoulder but no one was even paying any mind to him, everyone was greeting one another or pushing and shoving to attempt to get to their first hour on time. It was rather disappointing that he and Harry did not have the first two periods of classes together, but he perked up when reading Harry’s timetable the night before at the diner, seeing that they had two study periods together, then Physcology and also lunch. Their lockers were on completely different floors, which also disappointed the both of them, but they did not dwell on it too much, because Harry will be driving them to school every morning (and they will be spending around 10 minutes canoodling in the car).

Louis’ blue eyes scanned each number on each and every locker, mumbling the number under his breath so he would not forget it. Finally, he reached towards the end of the hall, right next to a janitor’s closet, and found the number he had been looking for. A triumphant grin and one mental pat on the back later, Louis starts on his pre-put combination. It takes him a few tries, since he has never been good at lock combinations- but could anyone really blame him? Left 23, turn the dial twice to get to 9, back to the left to 12- but he eventually gets it open and, once more, another mental pack on the back.

It isn’t until Louis reaches his first hour, English Literature, that he meets eyes with those piercing brown ones, which are as utterly shocked as his own. Louis shuffles his feet on the glossy tiled floor, ignoring those pair of brown eyes which are, without a doubt, burning holes through his skin as he walks past. It gets suddenly quiet throughout the classroom, because the first day of school and knowing that two rivals are within feet of each other, well, lets just say that just about everyone is a sucker for a bit of drama to spice up their morning. Sometimes seeing old friends is just not enough.

“Thought you would have dropped out by now, Tomlinson.” And the voice that used to haunt Louis’ dreams is back, and just a few feet away from him, and he curses the high heavens because fuck, why him?

“Thought you would have dropped out whenever your girlfriend did, Gastlo. You know, whenever you knocked her up?” Louis knew. Everyone knew. It was not a big surprise that at the end of the year, before the students went on summer holiday, Mikey had gotten his girlfriend his pregnant and he just left her like it was absolutely nothing. She had been a sweet girl, she deserved anything but that douchebag of a boyfriend, and ended up dropping out because she decided that yes, she was going to keep the baby and no, she was not going to abort the life that was growing inside of her.

“Oh fu-” Mikey had started but the teacher gave him a wild glare from her desk where she sat, and he shut his mouth instantly. It made Louis grin smugly as he took a seat closest to the window, laying his binder down on the top of the desk all while letting out a quiet sigh. He would have to deal with Mikey for the rest of the year, in this classroom, and possibly outside of it. He would also have to walk into school every morning, stomach knotting up uncomfortably while knowing that he has to start off his morning being in the same vicinity as him.

English Literature went quite smoothly, as did the two class periods after that. He and Harry got a bit cozy in the library during their first study period of the day, sitting by each other in hard wooden chairs and playfully knocking knees every few minutes. The librarian shushed them a few times, causing Louis to stifle his- very manly- giggles into Harry’s shoulder, which he did so with a bit of difficulty, considering that Harry was still taller than him even when sitting. It came time for lunch, and as they took a seat at a table with Zayn- and the rest of the table filled with strangers they did not even know- Louis stopped with his tray in mid-air while catching those brown eyes from across the cafeteria.