Harsh Realities

I open my eyes to nothing. All I see is black. It must be night. It takes me a while for my eyes to adjust, but they do. I look around the room and I see Grant sleeping on the floor next to me, his shirt off again. His right hand is on top of his stomach. I reach down and grab it. I hold it in my hand. It stays limp. I stroke his index finger with my thumb and he wakes up, grabing my hand back. He rises up and is looking me in the eyes. If we could see that far.

"You should be sleeping." he says.

"I think I had my fair share." I tell him and he gets on my bed. He goes over my right leg, my injured one, and holds me on top of the bed. I look at him. We are face to face with hardly any room inbetween is. We breath the same air and for a second I almost forget about the pain from my stab wound. "Is that your shirt?" I ask him, having a feeling of where my bandage came from.

"Yes. It's all I had." he says.

"You have pants." I say.

"Would rather have me take those off?" he asks and I look down away from his eyes. I regret saying that.

"No." I tell him, looking back up. He chuckles.

"Ok. What ever you say." he says and I nuzzle next to him. He holds me. I feel safe more than I have in the last two days. All I feel it the pain in my lower right leg. His breathing is slow and steady and I can hear his heart beat. His breathing hides his excitment. His heart is beating faster than I expected. I look at him and he looks me in the eyes.

"What are we doing?" I ask him and he looks confused. "We have only I own each other for two day. I hardly known you, other than the fact that your name is Grant and you can control gravity." I say and he backs up, putting distance between our noses.

"You feel safe right?" he asks me.

"Yes." I answer.

"Does this feel wrong?" he asks me and I don't honestly know how to answer that. I look in his eyes and I answer.

"No." I answer.

"Then it's not." he says to me and nuzzle back up next to him. He moves over me and grabs a cup. They must have brought us good while I was passed out. "Drink this." he tells me and I do. I didn't realize how dry my throat was until I finished the cup of water. I gasp from chugging the liquid and look at him.

"Thank You." I say to him and he smiles, or from what I can tell in the dark. He kissed my forehead and I stay next to his heart for the rest of the night. Until they wake us for the next round. The door slams open and he gets out of the bed, having to go over me. He aproaches the guards.

"She can't fight! She can't even walk!" he yells.

"Not our decision. Adam wants her to continue." they say to him and Grant walks over to me and picks me up. My legs throbs, but I don't feel as much pain as before.

"You will all pay for what you are doing here." he says, walking past them and towards the arena door. We pass other doors and I can hear them screaming from inside them. Screams of pain and horror. He makes it to the door and kicks it open. The light is blinding. I hold up my hands and block it until my eyes adjust. They finally do and I can see red in the pale color of the dirt. The blood of the past arena battles. I look to grant.

"Put me down." I tell him. He give me a look but I don't back down from what I said. He does so and I stand. I stumble but I only feel a slight pain in my leg. I walk forward and the arena erupts with cheering. This is sick and twisted. All of it. The water. That made me heal faster. I don't know how but it must have. Grant walks up next to me and looks at me. I look to him and shrug my shoulders. I turn back to the center of the arena. At least ten more Metas have joined the fight. A horn blows and they start to tear each other apart. I turn away from them.

I look at Grant. He looks to the crowd of fighting. He runs forward and slides into the battle. I turn to watch him. He pushes them apart and keeps them from fighting. He is trying to keep them alive. I run towards the crowd and help him. I try to only use enough electricity to stun the other Metas and end the fight without blood shed. I eventually knock them out. I stand above their unconscious bodies. I look above me to Adam. He has lost the smile that is usually on his face. He steps out from the shade. He walks to the edge of the wall and jumps he hits the ground and I can see his legs bent on ways they shouldn't. Be stumbles forward and his legs slowly go back to normal. He walks towards me. He grabs my neck and pushes me up against a wall.

"You weren't supposed to do that." he says to me and I struggle to breath, my feet off the ground. Her throws me to the ground and I gasp for air. I back up and he walks towards, standing above me. He pushes me back until I run into one of the unconscious Metas. "Kill them." He says and I stare at him. I can't. I shake my head in disagreement. He walks over and holds up Grant by the throat. "Do it or he dies!" he yells at me. I look at Grant's worried eyes, then to the Metas. "Do it or his blood will be on your hands!" he yells. I blink and a tear escapes my right eye. I charge my hands and shoot it towards the Metas, killing all of them.