Chapter 4

I know this week is going to be horrible. Whenever I start the week remembering Lacy, nothing ever goes right for at least the next few days. I know that sounds stupid and superstitious but I've found it to be true. But I decide to try to forgot the incident last night and focus on what I meant to accomplish by talking to mom. Finding out about the barefoot girl. Although, I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it. Mom's right. She's a complete and utter mystery to literally everyone in town.

It's raining today so I'm catching a ride in the car instead of walking like normal.

So, I sigh, grab my backpack and head to the car. Michelle reaches behind her seat and pats my knee. The corners of my mouth twitch upward in an attempt to smile at her. Then she starts the car and I stare at my hands while Liam sings some song I don't recognize.

_____________________

I'm sitting in algebra, 4th period when the idea hits me. The barefoot girl is a mystery to literally everyone in town... Except herself! Duh! I think to myself. Gosh, sometimes I think my brain is really slow.

After class I run up to lunch and join Natalie and Katrina, another friend of ours, sitting down and bouncing in my seat. The two of them glance at each and then laugh. "What's going on?" Natalie asks. "I know how to find out about the barefoot girl," I reply, directing this at Natalie. I'll have to explain to Katrina.
Natalie grins and looks confused simultaneously. "I didn't know how serious you were about that!" She laughs.
Katrina just stares and tucks her long black hair behind her ear. She just moved to the US from China last year.
"Katrina!" I start. She jumps at my outburst.
"Yeah?" She replies in her light and sweet voice.

"Have you ever noticed the girl down on Q St?" I ask.

"There's TONS of "girls on Q St," Natalie interrupts. I glare at her and then chuckle and lightly punch her in the shoulder.
Katrina chuckles and then says "I think I know who you're talking about. Brown hair? Dances around the light pole? Gorgeous smile?" She says flashing her own pearly whites.
I nod vigorously. "So you've heard about our own little mystery girl?" I ask.

"One could hardly miss her," Katrina replies. I gave her some of my old shoes a while back."

"Yeah, so anyway, for some reason I really NEED to know what's up with her. And I thought well she's probably around our age. I could befriend her! Bring her a hot meal sometime and then ask her about her life!"

Natalie sputters, "Stalker much?"
I'm way to use to her teasing. Plus, I figure, that did sound like a major stalker comment.

Katrina, however smiles and says, "That's the sweetest idea I've ever heard! I'm sure she'd love a friend."
Natalie pulls her strawberry blonde curls over her shoulder and looks at Katrina saying, "I like your necklace," clearly bored with the subject at hand.

I notice Katrina's fingering a little necklace in the shape of a... Cross. Defense walls seem to go up in my brain. I always get tense when they bring up anything related to... Religion. It makes me feel like I'm some outcast, since I'm not Christian.

"Thanks," Katrina grins. I got it for my birthday."

I fidget uncomfortably. "It's pretty," I mumble, as my mind races for a way to change the subject without making it awkward.

Katrina seems to take my off-hand compliment as evidence that I too, am Christian. She smiles, thanks me and asks, "Where do you go to Church?" My gaze drops to the floor and Natalie sucks in her breath. I feel the tension grow and when I glance back up at Katrina her smile slowly fades. "I uh... I don't," I mumble.

"Oh, I'm sorry I just assumed..." She trails off. "Yeah whatever. So I'm not holy like you two," I grunt.

"No it's ok!" Katrina protests. "I mean I hope you do discover the Christian faith one day. I wasn't always Christian. Becoming one is the best decision I've ever made," she says in the most sincere way possible. But that comment makes me feel like exploding. Before I know what I'm doing, I'm arguing with Katrina.

"So what? I'm a horrible person because I'm an atheist??" I demand. Katrina is taken aback. "That's not what I meant..." She insists.

"Yeah??? Well what DID you mean?" I counter, my face flushing.

Katrina's on the verge of tears now. Natalie reaches over to rub my arm and tries to calm me. "Bridget..." But she's at a loss for words. I shake her arm off. "Don't talk to me! I know you're Christian too but I thought we put this behind us!!!" I accuse. Natalie abruptly leans away from me as if physically pushed. Then just as quick she comes back, a little too close for comfort. "Yeah we DID didn't we?? Because God and Jesus is just something you should put behind you and never think about. He might be the Savior of the World, He might not be but hey! Who cares, RIGHT??"

Katrina's full out sobbing now and I'm ready to cry too. But my tears are coming from anger, not fear and confusion like Katrina's. "All your religion does is DIVIDE US!!!" I scream.

"Divide us, huh? Is that how you see it?? We gave you a chance for the truest love in all the world! In all the UNIVERSE!!! Our family tried to show yours that God is love and He WILL get you through ANYTHING!!! Do you not remember??? You could've found healing!!! You could've forgiven yourself for what happened to LACY!!!"

We both go silent, and even Katrina's sobs are stilled. We just stare at each other for what seems an eternity. Then the bell rings and I sprint out of the lunch room.

I hear Natalie behind me calling, "Wait! Bridget, wait... I didn't mean..." And when I glance behind me, she's crying too. The worst part is, I don't even care.

How dare she? I rage in my mind. Maybe I have forgiven myself. Maybe I have moved on. What does she know?

But I know it's not true. My hot tears of anger turn into cold ones of regret and misery. I can't go to class like this. My initial thought is to sit in the bathroom until I calm down. But Natalie's in my next class. I won't be able to control my emotions. So, I head to the nurse's office and tell the nurse I'm not feeling well.

After all, that's never been closer to the truth.