Chapter 28

After a couple of minutes, Megan awkwardly and hesitantly separates herself from Lacy.

"Sorry, I'm not sure what that was," she says turning to me and offering me a weak smile.

I shake my head and even roll my eyes a little.

"Nothing wrong with showing that you care," I reply, trying to sound light hearted.

Megan lets her smile widen just a little. Then, she look back at Lacy.

"You excited to be in Hawaii???" she asks.

"Yeaahahahaaa!!!" Lacy says, a layer of laughter underneath the sweet sound of her voice.

I grin at her and realize my "hope levels" have suddenly shot up.

There's no way on the planet someone at death's door could be so full of life... Right?

     ______________________

"AHHHHHH!!!!" I sputter and shriek as the sweet ocean water hits me square in the face. A splash feels a lot different coming from Ben than it does from Lacy. Ben imitates an evil laugh and goes for me again, before I can even catch my breath.

We're all down on the beach now! Katrina's mom had carried her and set her down at the edge of the water so she could feel the waves grab at her waist and spray her face. She's glowing and soaking in the sunshine; unfazed it seems, by the fact that she can't run through the waves.

Lacy pulls on my arm and I bend down so she can whisper in my ear.

"On three, we both jump on him!" she declares enthusiastically.

I laugh and nod my head vigorously in agreement.

"One..." Lacy starts.

"Two...."

Ben eyes us, smiling but terrified.

"THREE!!!!"

We charge him and jump on top of him.

He laughs and falls- but I can tell he falls on purpose not from our impact. He has gathered both Lacy and I in his arms, and plops right down on his rear end without needing any hands to catch himself.

As I'm climbing back onto my own two feet, Natalie jumps in my back. I yell in surprise and break my fall while she lands on top of me. Katrina laughs and yells,

"Nice one Natalie!!!"

I laugh and tease her saying,

"Who's side are you, Katrina Godwill?!?"

She shrugs innocently.

I roll over and push Natalie off me, grinning till I feel my very lips will fall right off my face. Natalie suddenly leans in and whispers,

"Explain love to me."

I jerk my head so I'm looking her in the eye.

"What...?" I ask.

"Can science explain love?" She questions.

I must look like a deer caught in the headlights.

Natalie looks down at the water and chuckles quietly, entertained, I'm guessing by my expression. Then she lifts her head back up to meet my gaze.

"Cause God can. God is love," she says.

The noise around me is all blocked out and all I hear is her words ringing in my head. Just when I think she's wishing for me to answer in some way, she stands up slowly... And kicks water into my face.

That sends Katrina into a fit of giggles.

I quickly stand up, grabbing two fistfuls of wet sand as I go. The sand, I aim at Natalie, and then Katrina's legs. Natalie's jaw drops and then she mischievously grins and runs to Katrina, Liam and then Ben.

"I've got an army," she announces.

"So this is war," I joke raising my eyebrows.

I grab the twins and Lacy for my own "team" and World War 3 breaks out. The time at the beach is the best two hours of my life.

But I can't stop thinking about Natalie's words.

Explain love....

__________________

It's all I hear in my head as I'm trying to sleep. Everyone else is out cold but I can barely keep my eyes closed for more than two seconds.

Explain love. Can science explain love? God is love.

I could throw science on Natalie in the morning. Tell her all about the brain and how it helps us feel what humans call "love." But I realize that no amount of science could explain the feeling I got when I was with my family and friends on that beach.

It could never describe the sheer joy of finding Lacy.

It could never capture the devastating pain I felt realizing her days were numbered...

I remember the perfection of the sunrise that morning.

And the way the Casting Crowns song had tugged at my heart.

And most of all... I remember... Love.

It is now that I decide to make the most important decision of my life.

Slowly, I crawl out of my sleeping bag and kneel on top of it.

Hey God, I pray.

I know I've ignored you my whole life up to this point but ummm... I.... I hope you'll have me.