Chapter 10

The joy of seeing Lacy was unbelievable. I honestly thought I'd lost her for good; that she was... dead.

In my excitement, I forget that she's lying here with cancer.

I look at Genevieve; worried my joy would only turn back to sorrow a few months in the coming future.

"What exactly does she have?" I ask

"Leukemia," she sighs.

"How bad is it?" I whisper.

She shrugs with a sad look on her face.

"I just come here to bring a little light to her day," she says, reaching over to pat Lacy's knee.

Then she looks at me curiously.

"Sooooo... You know her?"

I laugh and grab Lacy's hand.

"We're sisters."

Genevieve's jaw drops. And then, slowly, a look of realization comes over her face.

I'm about to ask her everything she knows about Lacy and what happened but then, I decide right now we should just be happy with her.

We talk and laugh and play with her stuffed animals. I'll randomly wrap Lacy into a hug, just to make sure she's really there.

Then, my phone rings. When I take it out I see its 8:30. I groan and let out a whimper. I left at five! I probably missed dinner and everyone is terrified and...

I answer. Almost immediately mom starts in.

"Oh goodness Bridget! Where are you?" she says, panicked.

"I'm sorry mom! I met a friend out on my walk and we... We walked a little ways more and..."

I look at Lacy. I have to tell them! What am I thinking?

"Mom! Listen I have to tell you something!"

"I don't want your excuses right now. What you have to do is get your rear end home. You scared us all half to death."

"Mom, I-"

"Get home now!!!" she demands. I hear a click and the phone call ends.

I grunt in frustration. She can't even listen when there's news that her daughter, that we've missed two years of being with, is here! And... And she has cancer....

I don't want to leave. Least I discover it was all just a dream. I squeeze Lacy.

"I have to go," I say, regretfully.

"I'll be back ASAP though! Hopefully with Mom, Dad, the twins and Liam."

Lacy smiles weakly.

"Please do Bridge."

My eyes are welling up again so I rush out of the room before I convince myself to just stay and bear whatever wrath would be waiting in the morning.

As I rush down the hall, I remember, I don't know where I'm going. I turn around to get Genevieve, but she's already rushing up from behind me.