Chapter 19

I stared out the window; terrified. Genevieve would have no way of knowing that a tornado was coming... Until it was too late.

"Bridgey?"

Lacy's voice brings me back to the here and now.

I set her down slowly.

"You and Liam go to the basement now, you hear?" I command, gently but firmly.

Lacy's sucking on her thumb again and they both look at me with wide eyes that make me want to cry.

I don't have time to lose.

Before I even know what I'm doing I run towards the door.

"BRIDGET???" Liam shrieks.

I moan. Because now they have my parents' attention.

"Bridget? WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" My mom cries.

I don't pay any attention. I have to know Genevieve is ok.

I won't be able to live with myself if something happens to her. I can bring her back here in time... Right?

I slam the door behind me as shouts from my whole family see me out.

Gosh, they must think I'm committing suicide, I think to myself.

I know it's probably true too, and I feel bad for scaring them. I'm just hoping no one will come running after me and drag me back into the house. If I get sucked into a tornado I don't want anyone coming with me.

I must be crazy. How do I even know for sure where she'll be?

I shake my head and try to focus.

When I'm in the street that Genevieve usually hangs out on, I start calling for her, desperate.

"GENEVIEVE?" I shout.

"GEN IT'S BRIDGET PLEASE ANSWER!!!"

I whip myself around every-which-way in hopes she'll appear from somewhere. And that's when I see it.

Far enough away to give me hope but close enough to strike me with fear. The tornado was in view.

Panic gripped my entire being as hot tears stung my cheeks.

"GENEVIEVE!!!!"

That's when a hand grabs my shoulder and whips me around. And there she is. Genevieve! She's alright. But she's confused and worried.

"What are you doing here?" She hollers over the increasing wind.

"Didn't anyone warn you about the tornado?"

She asks this question dragging me to who-knows-where.

"I was worried about you!" I said.

"You're nuts!" She screams, which would have been funny but neither of us laughed; given the circumstances.

She continues to pull me until we're at the old woods. She jumps into the ditch where the creek is and waves her arms wildly, motioning for me to follow suit.

I jump in; half blinded by the tears and feeling as if I'm only half-conscious.

Genevieve firmly pushes me down to my knees before dropping to her own and slouching into a ball.

I do the same.

A couple minutes pass. Silence. But then the wind gets louder and louder and I start bawling; my tears watering the sprouts of grass directly below my face. I hear Genevieve mumbling quietly.

"Jesus, hold us now..."

Then I feel a sudden, sharp pain.

And the whole world goes black.