Chapter 6

I sneak in the door nervously, feeling as if I'm about to get bombarded with questions.

Where have you been?

Where's your coat?

Your shoes?

Why did I get a call saying you weren't in class 5th period?

Turns out I'm just jumpy. I walk in to see Megan and Michelle making sandwiches. All they say is "Hey."

"Hey," I reply with a sigh.

"Where's mom and dad?"

"They're having another random date night," Megan says laughing and rolling her eyes. Mom and dad usually only decide they're going on a date five minutes before leaving.

I just say, "oh," and head to my room. I can feel the stares of the twins and Liam. They can always tell when something's up. A blessing and a curse.

I get to my room and dump my books on my desk. After staring at them for literally five minutes, I take out my phone. Time to procrastinate.

I've got a text from Natalie. And one from Katrina. I groan. This should be fun. I open Natalie's first to find a whole paragraph written for me.
She sure does ramble. I almost laugh. Almost.

But I know she's going to bring up what she wanted to tell me before.

Bridget look I'm really sorry. I said things today that I'll regret for the rest of my life. But... We need to talk. God and Jesus needs to be a subject you look into more. What if Christianity is true? Then you're missing out, to say the least. Look, if you let me talk to you about it, I'll let you fill me in on why you think the way you do. So, instead of you feeling attacked, we just have a civil conversation. Love you Bridge;)

I heave a heavy sigh. I suppose I owe her an apology too. I reply:

Hey ya know what I'm sorry too. But Idk Natalie. U really think my parents would appreciate us talking about religion?

"You really think I would appreciate it?" I mumble to myself.

Almost immediately I get a response:

They don't have to know... And tbh Bridge, your parents aren't just atheist they're anti-Christian. They don't know what they're talking about.

She's so brutally honest. I take a deep breath to keep from throwing my phone against the wall. I reply with:

They let me hang out with u don't they?

That's the most they'll do is the reply.

And I know it's true.

Another text comes in. It says:

Look, Bridget, I don't need to convert u. But at least let us talk so u know what Christianity truly is and not what ur parents make it out to be.

I rub my temples.

Then, text her back:

I'll sleep on it, is all I say.

Then I look at Katrina's text. All it says is "Hey u ok?"

This time I let myself chuckle. They're so different. Opposites attract I guess.

I reply with "Not great but not terrible."

I sit back in my chair. Rushing out of the cafeteria today, I didn't think I'd ever forgive Natalie. Katrina, on the other hand, was someone you couldn't stay mad at, plus she didn't really do anything. Natalie you could stay mad at for a looonnnnggg time. Unless... Unless you're me.

I realize I've forgiven her already. The two of us are like sisters. Sure, she's got a fiery temper, but we've all got flaws. I'm certainly not without them. I'm stubborn as a mule for one thing!

Which is why I doubt this "civil conversation" about Christianity would do me or Natalie any good. And under my anger and destain for the topic of religion, I realize I'm just scared. Because something in the back of my mind is whispering,

What if everything you thought you knew about life and death is wrong?

I put my head in my hands.

Ok. I'll talk to you about it, Natalie. I think.

But only to prove I haven't been wrong for fifteen years.