Chapter 23

Natalie and I are back at my house along with both of our whole families.

I'd been sent home with all the usual precautions about how to avoid making my concussion worse.

The world seems to be standing still. We're all waiting for someone to pinch us and wake us up from this nightmare. Or maybe, someone will wave a magic wand and our town will be instantly rebuild. And the 23 lives claimed by the monster tornado will be given back to them.

Natalie and I have been texting Katrina like crazy. She's answered, but something seems off. When you're close enough to people, you can feel their emotions even through the texts they send. At least, that's how it is between the three of us.

I want to invite Katrina to meet us somewhere but... There's really no where to meet. The restaurants and stores that aren't completely crushed are still closed down and have their own minor damages to fix.

Lacy comes and lies on her stomach next to me.

It feels like an eternity since I'd reunited with her in the hospital. I lie next to her and wrap my arm over her back. I try not to wonder about how much time she has left.

"Hey Bridget?" Natalie whispers, sounding cautious.

I raise one eyebrow skeptically as an answer.

"Do you still want to talk about..." She looks over her shoulder at our two families chatting. Then she looks at Lacy before her gaze lands back on me.

"...The Big Man Upstairs?"

Lacy gets a puzzled look on her face. I shake my head. Not now. That discussion would only leave me stressed and confused, I felt.

"Some other time Nat," I sigh.

"I'm determined not to feel any more strong emotions today."

Natalie's face falls a little but she nods her head in understanding. Then she looks at her phone and groans.

"I still can't get Katrina to tell me what's wrrrrooonng! I don't get why she doesn't trust us to help her with whatever's happened."

I look at her sympathetically.

"Natalie don't be ridiculous. She trusts us! Especially you! But whatever's happened might be hard to being up right now," I offer.

Natalie sighs,

"Well that's exactly why she needs to tell us! I'm scared Bridge! What do you think even happened?"

I have idea and it scares me to try to think about it. It suddenly dawned on me that we hadn't directly asked about her mom, dad, older sister and younger sister. Were they hurt? Or... One of the twenty-three who didn't make it?

But I don't want to suggest any of this to Natalie so I simply shrug.

The scenarios scare me though. What frightens me the most is that I was outside during the storm and got out with just a concussion, while others did everything right, going to their basement, and yet, were killed.

I shudder. My plan to not feel any more emotion today has already flown out the window.

Suddenly I become very aware of my parents, quietly arguing in the corner of the dining room. Mom has a slow but steady stream of tears flowing and Dad seems firm but still gentle. Confused, I slowly stand up and make my way towards them. Lacy bounds up onto her feet and latches her arm into mine just as I've reached them.

Mom and Dad look at Lacy, while we eye them back, curiously.

"Is everything ok?"

It sounds like a stupid question; all you have to do is look outside for that answer.

But Dad quickly says,

"Of course sweetie. Your mother and I are just trying to decide on a little surprise for you all!"

Lacy starts bouncing up and down.

"Whatisit whatisit???" she asks.

Mom looks at Dad and they briefly turn their backs to us as Mom hisses something in Dad's ear. Dad responds with a muffled whisper that gets Mom to cry on his shoulder.

I'm so confused.

They turn to face us again.

"Go on! Gather the boys and the twins. Family meeting time!" Dad announces like he's a game show host

"Dad... Whaaaat....?" I start.

"You'll see. Just trust me. And uh... Your mother is just nervous about bills but she's agreed we should do this," Dad answers nervously.

Mom stands up straight again and nods slowly.

"It'll be good for all of us," she agrees, drying her eyes.

Lacy is sucking her thumb, not sure if she's supposed to be excited or solemn.

"Guys, what will be good for us?" I ask, rather demandingly.

Dad shakes his finger at me.

"No, nopeity no. Missy, you don't get to find out until the whole family is gathered," he teases.

Feeling like I should be excited, but still just more confused and suspicious, I take Lacy's hand and go to get the whole family.

Every single person bombards me with questions when I call them over to the living room for "family meeting."

I even get a questioning look from Natalie. I just shrug, pretty sure I look just as confused as them.