Chapter 18

"WHAT??" Michelle screams.

Boiling mad doesn't even begin to describe the state she's in right now.

Mom has gathered the family to tell the news of Lacy's condition. Dad went to Lacy's room to keep her company. The idea was that she wouldn't have to experience us hearing the news.

So much for that.

Thanks Michelle.

"Dear, I wanted to give you the joy of our Lacy being home before we had to tell you that... That... Tell you... This," mom attempts to explain.

It's hopeless though.

Michelle pushes herself off the couch to stand up.

"No! Mom! Why'd you think that was a good idea??? It didn't soften the blow!!!" she screeches.

Megan, who is directly behind her, gently grabs hold of Michelle's arm.

"Michelle..." she starts.

"NO!" Michelle screams, throwing Megan's hand off and nearly smacking her in the face in the process.

"It made it WORSE!!! MOM! I thought she was BETTER!!!" Michelle cries.

"Mom..." she whispers shakily, her anger suddenly melting into deep sorrow.

She storms up the stairs and a few moments later I hear a door slam.

Mom buries her head in her lap and sobs. My own eyes are full before I even notice it. Liam's head is on my lap and his tears are soaking my pants.

Megan walks over and sits next to mom. Ben simply stares into space.

I can't even imagine what Lacy must feel like. Gosh, when I was seven, I barely knew the meaning of the word death....

Ben turns on the TV but doesn't look at it.

I'm guessing he's trying to fill our ears with something other than the deafening sound of our minds telling us the worst has come true.

A few minutes of some old game show go through our ears.

Then the weather channel takes over.

"Good morning everyone! We currently have some counties that are in a tornado watch. They are listed at the bottom of the screen and include..."

"Oh for the love of Pete," Mom groans.

"I'll keep an open hear for the warning," Ben mutters.

Liam sits up nervously.

"Tornado?" he questions.

"Don't worry buddy, they're just watching for one right now," I sigh ruffling his hair.

I take his hand and walk him up the stairs so we can play with Lacy for a bit.

     ______________________

Liam and I play in Lacy's room for hours! Dolls, dress up, mermaids... All these at the request of Liam.

He has some pretty great fashion ideas....

Lacy and I are laughing until our sides ache at the sight of Liam in a pearl necklace, plaid skirt, and cowboy hat. He's swaying his hips like he's the hottest thing to ever hit the runway.

In the middle of our fashion show, a knock comes from the door.

"Yepers?" I call.

Ben opens the door.

"Hey, get everyone to the basement; they've spotted a tornado," he answers.

"Oh ok!" I reply nervously.

I pick up Lacy and place her on my hip. Then I grab Liam's hand.

"Let's go guys."

As we walk out I see Megan already halfway there, and Mom standing at the door to the twins' room.

She's begging Michelle to get out.

Suddenly, I get really, really scared.

I start to sweat and breath heavily.

I'm not worried about Michelle; she has common sense. She'll come out and down in twenty seconds.

I know I have to get the kids downstairs but all I can think is...

Genevieve.